1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install HD DVR HR23

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by johnclevohio, Oct 12, 2011.

1. johnclevohio

johnclevohio New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Few years ago I had a DirecTV HR21 HD DVR installed in an upstairs room where I had 2 wall jacks. Perfect install, no problems recording two shows at the same time. At that time, in my family room I was told that I could have a DVR but would only be able to record one show at a time since I only have one wall jack.

Fast forward to today, I am replacing the family Room DVR, with a DirecTV
    HR23 or HR24 HD DVR. I am positive I have read someplace that the two wall jack requirement is no longer a problem, but other sites seem to imply that it still is. Due to the in depth replies I have seen on this forum, I am confident in the answer i will get on this site.

Will I still be limited to only recording one show at a time with the one wall jack, or is there something I can do (splitter, etc) so I can record two shows at once using the new HD DVR. Running additional wires from the dish or the switch is not possible due to location of the switch. Would a SWM splitter (1x2) do this for me?

I am open to any suggestions you may have. Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    :welcome_s!

If you convert to a SWM setup you can record two programs with one wire. This is the default setup for new installs now, also the setup you will get if you get the upgrade to whole-home service.

Just using a splitter won't do it though, you'll need to replace either the LNB (the "head" part of the dish) or add a SWM-8 module to your setup, plus appropriate splitters.

3. johnclevohio

johnclevohio New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Any idea on what is involved with the SWM conversion? Do they need to just replace the dish and the switch?

4. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    If you have an existing WB68 multiswitch they can replace it with a SWM8. If you don't have a multiswitch they will generally swap out the dish. The tech should also inspect the wiring you have and make sure it's up to par.

If you go for the whole-home conversion, they will very likely swap out the dish with a SWM-enabled one and use a splitter to tie it to the lines you already have in the house. Each DVR or receiver will need only 1 wire; one of the other wires will be used for a power inserter which is required for a SWiM setup. You can also request at that time that your system be hooked to your home internet. This is almost always free if you request it at the same time.

5. johnclevohio

johnclevohio New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Just called DirecTV, said it would be $49.95 to install the SWM. Having them come out tomorrow to do the work. Hopefully no problems.

6. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Excellent! A bit of advice, make sure they put terminators on any unused ports or cable ends. An unused port would look like this:
    [​IMG]

Below is a picture of a terminator:

[​IMG]

7. johnclevohio

johnclevohio New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    They mailed me the new HD DVR and I received it today. They sent me the HR22 instead of the HR23. It has the b-band converters in the box, am I screwed now since I do not have the 2 wall jacks? I already sent DirecTV an email saying I need the HR23 since it does not need the b-band converters (correct?).

8. tritch

tritch Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    Porter, TX
    Don't worrry, with a SWM setup the BBC's are not needed anymore no matter what HR2X version you get.

9. sonofcool

sonofcool Legend

Dec 23, 2007
    John,
    Definitely follow Stuart's advice regarding terminators. When I converted over to Whole Home, my local installer did not put these on all of the unused ports. this caused some intermittent problems on one od my DVRs.
    Good luck with you install.

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    If you didn't get a SWM system installed you will still only be able to use one tuner off the single cable run to your family room, and you will need to use the BBC to attach it to the HR22.

If you get the SWM system installed you will only need one coax line to each DVR, and you won't need the BBCs anymore on any receivers or DVRs (but all of your receivers/DVRs need to be SWM compatible D12, R16, H2x or HR2x).