1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install Help for Apartment

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Justin23, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Hello. I have some questions about having D* installed in my apartment. I am probably going to get an HD-DVR and a 5LNB dish. I am on the first floor with a screened-in porch with a door leading out there. There is a railing but it is on the outside of the screen. Here are my questions:

1. My complex is VERY understanding about dishes. They even have the proper FCC OTARD policy in their new resident documents which was a surprise. They will not allow the dish to be installed outside my porch but they said that I can install the dish on a tripod on the porch or I can get it mounted to the porch railing as long as what is used to attach the dish to the railing is "non-intrusive". Is there some sort of clamp that can be used without drilling into the wooden railing?

2. Is there such a thing as flat cables that can run from the dish to go under my door? I really don't want to drill either into the door or the wall.

Thanks!

Justin

2. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    To answer #2. There are flat cables tht can be used. It's about 8 inches long just for what you're asking. however, I don't know how well they work for the whole bandwidth spectrum that DirecTV now uses.

Do a google search for Eagale Aspen part # 8FC-300LX-8.

Also there are mounts you can use. Go to www.solidsignal.com and see if there is anything there that you can use.

I'm sure RobertE or one of the other installers that frequent the board will come along and give you some ideas.

3. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    IF your screen faces NORTH you are screwed.
    From FLA your line will be SW and your el will be high..that is good.
    The screen on your porch is important. If it is metal ...probably wont work. If you can chang the screen to FG or plactic it will work.
    Know that the signal will go through CLEAR glass.
    Go to dishpointer.com and enter your zip. It will give you the line to the DTV sats. It will also give you a cool sat view of your building and anything on other decks.

Hope this helps.

Joe

4. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well I wanted to mount it on the actual railing, which is on the outside of the screen. So from my aparment it goes: porch--->screen----->railing

J

5. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Bump.

Any one have ideas for me? I looked at some non-intrusive mounts and they look like they are for balconies and porches that don't have screens.

J

6. johnck78

johnck78 Godfather

Feb 18, 2007
    I'm not an installer, but have put my dish up. The Slimline is heavy, i would be concerned as to the stability of a clamp-type solution. I know I needed to add two more arms on mine cuz i was getting too much movement in the wind.

7. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
  8. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    Also, with it on the outside, you will have to run the wire "through" the screen?

Tripod may be the way to go, or Non Pentrating Roof mount, but you will need some concrete blocks to hold it down.

I thought the available flat wires dont' pass the HD signal?

9. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    I tried the bucket of cement, larger planter pots of cement, etc. in the last townhouse I lived in but the Slimline was just too top heavy. I need the pole long enough to get the LNB over the railing and to shoot through the large, main part of the screen.

I ended up with a rigged stack of concrete blocks to hold it in place. Drilled through the one and bolted the dish arm flat on top, then place others around it to weigh it down. Not the prettiest set up, but it worked. Had to drill a hole next to the sliding glass door though to get cable inside. Easy patch when I moved out.

10. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I'll try to post some pics of my porch tonight to give everyone a better idea of what I'm dealing with. Thanks for the great suggestions!

J

11. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Well yes...in fact the cable is running through my kitchen behind the stove and fridge and along the wall through my dining room to the HR20 in my living room. Not pretty I admit but.... I have Dtv!!!:)

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    http://www.universalsat.net/Services.htm

[​IMG]

Something like this might help, or you can try what I've done:

I get a 2x10 board and cut it into two 3 1/2' lengths. Putting one on each side of the railing, drill holes and bolt the two boards together, clamping the boards to the railing. The design of the rail will determine exactly where the bolts go. Be sure to leave the center free, as that's where you'll mount the foot of the mast. The boards are long to allow the monopoles to be mounted, giving the dish proper side-to-side support. Use 5/16" bolts for everything.

13. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Nice mount......but that would hang over the tenannts controlled space wouldn't it?

14. jmorty732

jmorty732 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    You may want to check out this thread.

**The board won't let me post a full URL(UGGH) ** so here it is all mucked up, hopefully you can put it together. ****
    satelliteguys.us / directv-forum / 107400-perfect-slimline-apartment-balcony-install . html

It has pictures and a very good description on an apartment install. It uses an interesting "non penetrating" mount, which is a nice alternative to installing on a railing.

I have successfully used the flat cable adapters to feed the cable through a window in the past with DirectTV Slimline and got all my HD channels perfectly clear. They are only about $1 a piece (I think I got mine off of ebay) so it is worth a try at that price.

Good luck!
    Morty

15. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I have succesfully used the really flat, thin 300 ohm wire that is part of the FM "dipole" antennas you can buy for a buck and a half. I just pigtail the coax to it at both cut ends.

16. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Will that rail mount work for a 5LNB dish?

17. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    We do a lot of apartment installs. Because of strength of the railing and liability issues, we avoid clamping to railings and use a tripod.

The available tripods for a two inch actual pole are specialty items and sell for expensive prices. They are usually not carried locally by suppliers due to costs.

A subcontractor colleague of mine has solved the problem. Radio Shack stocks a heavy duty 3 foot Rohn Made in USA heavy duty tripod for $35.

A section of 2 inch actual pole is also hard to find and will not fit inside the Radioshack tripod.

A standard 1-5/8" actual galvanized chain link fence line post will fit perfectly.

My colleague developed and manufactures an adapter to bring the 1-5/8" pole to exactly two inches. The mount for the slimline fits perfectly. The clamping force of the socket's bolts transfers to the 1-5/8 pole and no additional fasteners are required.

Unlike the bucket, the tripod has a wide base and the bolts allow perfectly plumbing the pole. A few paint or Sharpie marks on the dech would allow perfect realignment; should the tripod be moved by accident.

We have done over 150 apartment installs this way. We have had no dissatisfied customers.

Anyone can buy this adapter on eBay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150264565421

18. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The ebay auction has pictures of it being mounted on the roof. Were the apartment installs you have done on the roof or on a porch/patio/balcony?

J

19. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    None of the tripod/non-pen mounts are going to work inside a screened-in porch, which is why we were talking about the rail mounting options (unless a pole or tripod could be placed outside the patio).

20. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    Yes, that is amultipurpose adapter. It will work on any system mounted with the older standard 1-5/8" pole. A tripod takes a standard 1-5/8" pole.