1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Install In Progress...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dirtyblueshirt, Dec 15, 2008.

1. dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt Under Suspicion

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    The D* Installer arrived a few minutes ago, in possibly the worst weather San Diego could have... high winds and pouring rain...

Despite the work order, looks like I'm not getting the new Slimline dish, but instead, what I like to call "The Big-Ass Dishâ„¢".

He is DirecTV though, not a contractor.

Though he's not sure what model boxes he has in the truck. Stay Tuned.

The Dish:
    http://flickr.com/photos/ssbn737rm/3111393442/
    [​IMG]

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    That's a slimline alright. Looks like he'll align with a 5 LNB and then replace it with 3LNB SWM.

Yup, as seen by the big ole' mess in his truck.

3. dirtyblueshirt

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    You're right, I went out to see where he was installing it (hopefully the HOA Gods approve) and it is indeed. I originally asked him if he was using the slimline and he said "no, I have a 1m dish in the truck", which I thought was the massive rectangular thing my Uncle had installed in Hayward (he was early on the DTV HD Bandwagon)

New photos: (I'll have some higher quality shots later after the install when I can get my digital camera out there without soaking it)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. dirtyblueshirt

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    Well, a short pause as my installer gets a change of clothes (lives closeby, apparently) but the dish is set up and the receivers have been brought up... two spankin' new HR-23's. Boxes slightly damp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    WTF why is he up so high. Unless a tree is in the way. Already see a QC fail. OOPS can't help it.

6. dirtyblueshirt

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    Proximity to the roof vent to string the cable. The HOA wants "no permanent damage to the structure" and of course, aesthetics are key to any anal HOA. Otherwise, no trees in the way on that side of the building, just a clear shot to Tijuana.

edit: the roof vent on the right side above the 3rd window is the neighbor's condo. the left two windows are mine.

7. dirtyblueshirt

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    One receiver in... a second line prepped (future) and now to fish the new line to the living room (the old cable path is inaccessible and the wire is still needed for my cable modem)

[​IMG]

8. dirtyblueshirt

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    update: The gruntwork of the install is complete, everything looks great, the installer was very professional and neat.

The setup, on the other hand, is taking longer... something about the boxes not recognizing the SWM setup... he's replacing the power inserter and splitter now...

edit: he's going back up on the roof to swap out the LNB. It's still pouring and very windy. This guy deserves credit!

9. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006

Make sure he first power the PI and then the boxes. And one by one.

10. dirtyblueshirt

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    That he has. he's going up to replace the LNB now (as the rain pummels my window)

11. firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008
    :love1: :love1: :love1: :love1: :love1: :love1: :love1: :love1: :love1: :love1:

Can i come over for awhile or umm... move in?? :lol:

12. dirtyblueshirt

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    All Done! It was a 4.5 hour install and he swapped out the dish, LNB, PI, and splitter, but we're all good!

[​IMG]

13. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    4.5 hours, huh? What about the other 3-5 installs he had scheduled for the day?

14. dirtyblueshirt

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    who knows... at least my setup is working though! :grin:

15. firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008

They are the people on the phone with D* right now pissing about " Where the hell is my tech at!!!"....:lol: :lol:

16. davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    They'll soon be posting here the same complaint!!

17. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Not sure why the dish would go???

18. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    SWM signals will drop to zero during a rain fade event. He probably swapped all that stuff and got soaked again for nothing. :(

19. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    Hope you tipped him nice?!?!?

20. thespaceghost

thespaceghost Legend

May 23, 2008
    Wasn't DTV having rain fade uplink issues on the west coast today?