1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install on apartment roof without pouching a hole

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by justin1981, Apr 25, 2011.

1. justin1981

justin1981 New Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Hi, everyone, wanna-be-D* customer here. I am planning to install D* in my apartment. the problem is our landlord does not allow us to drill holes in my roof, and I dont have a balcony with my unit. Is there a non-intrusive to mount a dish on my roof (I do have a pitching roof). I tried to ask the D* representative, but he doesnt know anything about it and just kept pushing me to signup the service during the talk.....My unit DOES more or less face south.

2. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I had your exact experience as an installer.

I explained to a customer like you that without landlord permission nothing could be done. I did show a way to route cable to a pole mount where the system could be grounded. From there the sat line would run back and under his door. He would need to pay $220.00 and still have landlord permission for the pole mount.

Not only would he not pay anything because the installation was supposed to be FREE....he called Directv and raised hell about wasting his day off.

The installation company (DSI) sent another tech who drilled the roof and ran a cable into the closet ceiling to the TV. He had Directv that night.

I understand the apartment took his security deposit to fix the roof hole and closet ceiling. Don't know how much.

So there are ways,

Joe

3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    My dad is a landlord and has been for over 35 years. I too will become one if this deal works out this week. Most tenants/installers don't care about landlord permission and put a dish up on a brand new roof so from the other side of things I just wanted to say thanks to both of you for following the rules. :D

4. justin1981

justin1981 New Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Thank you guys. Looks like I'm out of luck here then.... Lesson learned here, get a unit with balcony if u want DTV :)

5. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    You need more than a balcony. My daughter had one but it faced the wrong way. You could also have obstructions.

OTOH, years ago my son had a setup using a pole cemented into a concrete block. It was oriented so he just had to shove the block against his railing and it was lined up. I've seen the same thing using tripods, but you have to be facing in the right direction and have a clear view of the sky.

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    There is a non penetrating mount but I'm not sure if it can be installed on a pitched roof. I would think one of the installers here should be able to give you some ideas if you wait a little longer.

7. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Yes there is one that could work.

It is designed to straddle the crown of the roof. Weights are placed in slots on each side for balance. While they work there are considerations. The cable should be run to within twenty feet of the ground bond and building entrance. Then the cable runs to the TV. In apartments this distance can exceed the capacity of the receiver and or multiswitch. The cable from the dish to the ground block must (should) be fastened to the building for appearance....including across the roof.

Joe

And there is still the landlord permission thing.

Joe

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    There are, as Joe mentioned, peak-straddling non-penetrating roof mounts, but all the ones I've seen are designed for 2 3/8" OD masts, such as those used for HughesNet, and would have to be adapted with a 2" OD mast for DirecTV.

Also, they are not cheap. The mount and the necessary mat usually end up around $200 shipped, and would still need to be adapted and have the blocks added locally. None of this is a "standard" install, so no one is going to do that kind of thing for free. In fact, in-house DirecTV techs won't touch it at all, since it isn't an approved mount; you'd need to work with a retailer.

But, yes, if you want satellite TV, you need to take these issues into consideration when choosing a place to live. http://www.dishpointer.com is your friend.

9. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    BZ,

I think a 2" OD shaft will slide inside the 2 3/8 OD mast. With a thru bolt or clamp it could work. I think I would add the monopoles to the non pen & use max weights.

As you say, the HSP guys will not modify anything. They have been paralyzed by the notion that even the slightest amount of craftsmanship or creativity could cost them money, whereas just being a take-it-out-of-the box tool will get them payments, bonuses and advancement in the Borg.

Having said that I gotta check all the dead car mounts, tree mounts, stump mounts, fence mounts, picnic table mounts and plumbing vent mounts. All were fine last time I checked.

Joe

10. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Wow. That's a lot of effort just to avoid carrying a pole and some concrete. :nono2:

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    It never or rarely was the effort. It was almost always the money. The rural poor customer was never informed there could be custom charges. So a car that had been sinking into mud outside the trailer looked pretty good for a dish location. Drill the holes & pound in the PrimeStar bolts, nuts and washers that were saved for the purpose + run the cable under 2x4 until it got dug in...no charge.

There are a lot of people who think FREE means no costs. Since they didn't have any money anyway the creative mounts had their place.

So do you think Directv will ever send a wonk to disconnect them because their installation is what it is? Directv just has to learn to take the good with the bad.

Joe

12. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    And yet you wonder why you had trouble getting paid. :rolleyes:

13. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    No. They send this "wonk" to peak their ODU, because the hood fell off the hooptie, taking the ODU with it. Now it's my job (also under penalty of loss of income) to bring that fubar hot mess up to code.

Crappy installs do not have their place. Crap is crap. That's why it's called crap! Gah!

14. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I agree with that part,

But at some point the customer takes over maintenance of these less than perfect rigs. I made ok custom money fixing self installs.Most of the work was done but it needed tweaking.

When HSPs bring up that "Last Man Out" crap is the time I get out my trusty pile of change orders. I won't rebuild installations for service call money.

And then I have worked for companies that will not do anything less that certified work,,,by the standards ( a little ambiguous) in the Directv Standard Professional Installation Guidelines (not specifications). Their position is that they do superior work and expect a superior profit.

I see your point about the crap installs but you should be able to be paid for time expended. The "fulfillment installations" were asked for by Directv because they wanted numbers...high numbers of activated boxes. Now they want perfect installations and fix the cheap jobs for ....you know...the F word.

Remember, the crap installs send in money until their rig breaks. It is what happens after the predictable failure that is the real issue.

Joe

15. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    you're probably the reason so many of us had to jack up our contractor insurance for primestar.

16. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Good shot,

But they are not related.I worked to the standard that was requested. There was never an issue with my work. Just absent installation company owners. They left town with the money; the jobs are still paying Directv.

Joe

17. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Maybe,

Insurance companies had rates for CATV operations. Primestar thought it was an extension of cable companies...which it was. Everything about hanging a dish, digging a hole and running cable underground near structures was new to the underwriters.

However, even my Pstar installations are still running.....with Directv dishes on them.

Joe

18. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Talk to your landlord and offer to pay for a comdeck to be installed by a professional roofing company. This would solve your problem if he agrees to it. It will cost you of course but you can get your service that way. It's a better solution anyways in the long run for him so maybe he can go half or something.

19. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Shades,

I have been down that road, Landlords say no because they do not want to screw with every dish installation. I some cases the property owner is operating the SMAT system or getting a reach around from the cable company. Nobody but the tennant gets anything out of the installation and the potential for building damage or even the cost of monitoring installations just stops things. And they have the power.

The other one I got that I liked less was..."NO!....These units are subsidized housing. Most of them cannot get cable service because they throw bills out with the booze bottles.And I will not do an interview for the evening news about where they poor people get money for satellite dishes when they get money for FREE rent."

It goes on from there,

Joe