1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install Today for HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bond111, Aug 23, 2010.

1. bond111

bond111 Cool Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Just wanted to make sure everything on my install is up to standards of this board.

So I made the jump to HD(about time) and they are going to be installing an HR20-700, and a H24. I've read that the HR20 is slow and the installer had told me he doesn't know when they'll get the hr24's, and they are hard to come by right now(back ordered). I was tempted to see if $50 tip would help in finding one, but didn't know how that would go....

I am also supposed to be having the MRV set up, and want to make sure they install all the proper equipment for this. He had to run back to the shop and pick up the H24, but he left the hr20-700 and three "B Band converter module SUP-2400. He was installing a new dish since my previous one wasn't for HD.

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    You will not be getting MRV if he puts those BBC's in place. MRV only works with SWiM and SWiM will not work with BBC's.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    There is a nation wide shortage of HR24 receivers as posted on this site. Yes the HR20 is slow but unless you do a lot of menu hopping and channel surfing it will perform fine. As for the $50.00 that's between you and the installer. The installer should have checked his truck's inventory before your install instead of going back for the H24. All else seems to be going fine with your install.

4. bond111

bond111 Cool Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Ok, so here is the run down of what happened for the rest of the install.

He installed the HD Slimline dish. On the sd dvr(R16-500) that we originally had in our Master Bedroom we put downstairs in our basement, and he put on a black Swim box there. In our living room he put the H24 with nothing else on it, and in the Master B.R. we put the HR20 with the Deca and an ethernet cable running from that into the HD DVR.

I asked him about renting movies and the On Demand service, and he said we needed a landline(phone line) to have this. We have high speed(12mbps cable internet) and I thought that would be all that would be necessary. He said we can order movies by ordering it through our online D* account and it would let us watch it on any of the TV's.

Also, the shows that were on our sd dvr, aren't we still able to watch those on any of the other tv's according to the MRV feature? Nothing is showing up on either of the two new boxes. When I log into my account on D* it says that I'm not eligible for whole home DVR? That was one of the main reasons for switching everything out. I'm a little stressed b/c my wife is mad about me telling her about all these features, and nothing seems to be working as I had told her.

Here is a pic of the R16 sd dvr that is down in our basement. I can also upload a pic of the Swim box too if needed.
    [​IMG]

5. bond111

bond111 Cool Member

Feb 4, 2010
    can anyone help out?

6. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    The R16 SD DVR isn't part of MRV. Only the HD DVR's (and the R22 SD/HD combo) are.

7. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    In addition, VOD is through your internet connection, despite what he said. So, if you want VOD, you will have to pay for an "internet connect kit" commonly called an ICK here and connect your system to your router.

SMK