1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation and technical help

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Cotter Pin, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cotter Pin

Cotter Pin Cool Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Just an observation on tecnical help in all the DBS forums. A few years back a high percentage of the forum topics were dedicated to just that, installation and other tech issues with equipment. Now it seems to be predominately receiver problems. Not that the receivers don't have problems! I guess it is just a sign of the times that most people don't deal with the installations anymore. DBS Forums still has the tech help topic going, but it is definately dated. Myself, I live out in the boonies with my sat dish on a pole attached to the back of the house that is 20 feet above the roof. Try and get an installer out here to do anything with that! They just don't get paid enough, and I don't blame them. It's my fault for living at the end of a beautiful river valley surround by mountains in Alaska. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Anyway, since i can't look through any relevant tech forums for my problem, I'll throw it out here:

I have a 2 dish setup, a 36" looking at 119 and a 24" looking at 148 with dish pro single LNB's through a switch 34. recently I stopped receiving 119, no signal at all on the setup screen and the switch check verifies that. 148 still works great. For troubleshooting, I connected the 119 and 148 dishes directly to the receiver, bypassing the switch 34. 148 still works, no signal on 119 (on either receiver). It has to be the 119 LNB, right? I do still have to check out a couple of connections on the 119 cable run, but I protected them real good so I will be surprised if that is the problem. My receivers are a 921 and a 508. Might I be missing anything? Thanks.

2. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Since you bypassed the switch that rules out a bad switch.

So, as you have diagnosed, it is either in the line or more than likely a bad LNB.

3. bigrick

bigrick Registered User

Oct 21, 2003
    swap the lnbs fron each dish and see if the problem follows the lnb or the line.

4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Take the LNB off the 148 and put it on 119 if you get a signal that confirms a bad LNB.

5. Cotter Pin

Cotter Pin Cool Member

Aug 19, 2003
    It was a bad LNB. The plastic cover was all cracked to hell. I think it got hit by lightning. I never put up any lightning protection, because it never used to happen here around Anchorage. But in the last few years things have definately changed, lots of thunderstorms. Good thing the receiver and TV were not on at the time. It worked great one day, and the next not at all. Thanks for the input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.