1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation Appointment This Sunday...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by nj1313, Sep 30, 2011.

1. nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I have a DTV installation appointment this Sunday where the tech will be upgrading one of my SD Receivers with an HD-DVR. I already have another HD-DVR in the house and when I made the appointment, the CSR said that my tech can also set me up with Whole-Home so I can watch ALL of my recording on both HD-DVR's.

Is there anything that I need to have ready before the tech comes? My current HD-DVR is hooked up to the internet, but where I am planning to have my other HD-DVR (bedroom), internet access is not available in the room.

Thanks for any info you may have for me to get ready...

2. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    For whole-home, you only need one access point for the internet hookup.

:)

3. nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Great...then it sounds like I'm all set...the only thing that sucks is that the tech is going to need to run a second line to my bedroom...and another second line to my kitchen (for the DVR moving from my bedroom to my kitchen)...both rooms only have one cable...

Thanks!

4. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    The Whole-Home DVR install includes upgrading the dish and cabling to SWiM, which means a single line to each DVR. The tech won't need to run extra cables.

5. nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    so I'll be getting another new dish...this would be the third in 5 years...

6. David Ortiz

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Do you still have the R15? The R15 is not SWiM compatible. If you are upgraded to SWiM for Whole-Home DVR, the R15 will be replaced, likely with an R16. Also, the R16 can't see recordings from other DVRs or share its own recordings. Whole-Home only works with HD DVRs.

7. nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    i do have an R15 and I do know that it will not be able to see other recordings...

i was told by the CSR that my once they install the HD-DVR that BOTH HD-DVR's will be able to see all each other recording, but not the R15...

Find if funny that the CSR never mentioned anything about a new dish or new R15 to an R16...All she said was that I needed with the addition of a second HD-DVR, that I would be able to have Whole-Home...they gave all of this to me for free because I was off my last 2-year contract and they wanted to wrap me up for another 2 years...

8. David Ortiz

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    You can check your order. If Whole-Home DVR upgrade is listed on the order, then that includes everything necessary to have a DIRECTV supported Whole-Home installation. You may not get a new dish, it might just be the LNB of the dish that's replaced with a SWiM LNB so that DECA will work. (You should check if the Cinema Connection Kit is on the order as well. You need that for the DVRs to see the internet.)

I would be prepared to have the R15 replaced.

9. nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    All it says on my order is "installation of a new HD-DVR upgrade"...
    Should I be concerned?

It was the CSR that brought up Whole-Home to me as an option with an additional HD-DVR upgrade...

10. David Ortiz

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    I wouldn't expect the tech to set up whole-home without it being on the work order.

11. leeliam

leeliam Mentor

Aug 2, 2010
    What HDDVR do you have? Open up the front panel and find out if it's an HR20,21, or 23. If it is have the tech put a Receiver DECA on it. If it's an HR24 it has one built in. 90% of the time on my upgrades MRV was promised but it wasn't on the work order. I either call in if I have time or install the equipment and tell the customer to call in to DirecTV. Techs can add the DECAs to the work order themselves so it should be perfectly running.

Just be nice and the tech should install it all for free.

12. David Ortiz

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    The problem with that is the DECAs don't work unless SWiM is installed. The R15 is not SWiM compatible.

Without SWiM, each DVR would need two lines (which would mean running two new lines as the OP has already mentioned.) Then there's the question of how to network the second DVR.

Whole-Home DVR upgrade + CCK would make everything work (without running two new lines, but it would have to be added to the work order, most likely at some cost.)

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Here are a few lines from my online account after I scheduled the whole home upgrade:
    Item Description
    Whole-Home DVR Service
    DVR - MRV Swap {upgrading R15 to R16}
    DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR Upgrade w/Cinema Connection Kit (Coax)
    Whole Home Offer Condition
    Home Networking Offer Condition
    (I added the underlined part).

If you don't see these on your online account, you need to call now and get it corrected.

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You'll need a CCK - Cinema (Internet) Connection Kit . That's a DECA connected to your router. There is a wireless version, but consider your current HR is already connected, the CCK can use that connection.

15. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The SD-DVR moving to the kitchen wont have MRV unless it is a R22.

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    There wont be any second runs to install if they switch you to swim, which is what they will do if you are going whdvr.

17. nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Well...what a series of events that came about for my appointment yesterday. The tech showed up and once I explained to him that I was getting whole-home and an HD-DVR upgrade, he said that we have a problem. He said that he could do it, but that he would need to charge me...which he said wouldn't be fair...so we both decided to get on the phone with DTV to "fix" the problem...

After being transferred to about 5 different CSR's, I asked for their retention department, which they said doesn't exist...but that I could talk to the Disconnect Department instead...whatever...the second I got on the line with "Disconnect", the CSR asked me to explain the situation...after hearing what I said he said that he was going to work with me and the installer to fix this issue...and that unfortunately sometimes these things happen with some CSR's...

Okay, so the CSR said they would give me Whole-Home and the upgraded HD-DVR along with having to upgrade my R15 for the new system and that DTV would honor the deal they offered me with a 2-year contract. The problem was that the tech didn't have any R22's or R16's...I told them both that I would just take a standard receiver (since the tech said he had one), but the CSR said NO that it wouldn't be fair to me, so he told the tech to install and SECOND HD-DVR at NO COST...

So....at the end of the installation, I got Whole-Home, with 2 HD-DVR's to go along with my 1 current HD-DVR...both HD-DVR's that were installed were HR24-100's to boot!!! Everything was credited and it turns out that I even have a $12 credit on my account currently! I just wish me and the tech called the "Disconnect" department to begin with. The Tech said that was the first time in his couple of years working for DTV that he saw a customer get what was promised...I just learned from my years of experience to be courteous and respectful, but firm and in the end the CSR and the tech worked with me very cooperatively.

After this result, I am very happy how DTV ended up handling the situation...just would have saved all of us (me, tech and DTV) time if we just fix the problem with the first phone call :)

I LOVE MRV!!! Now I know why everyone on these forums is raving about it!