1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation dilemma

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by PrivacyNut, Sep 3, 2013.

1. PrivacyNut

PrivacyNut New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Midwest
    Good morning,
    I am new to this website and glad I found you.

I dearly want to switch to Directv from cable. But ... I do NOT want the satellite dish roof mounted. Senior citizen who can't get on the roof nor have anyone who can. Currently have cable for two TVs and wish to retain my ISP for internet only.

DILEMMA: is this going to turn into a "custom" install job do you think? That is, pole mount on either side of home or outside? Currently cabletown has me hooked up from the street pole into my attic and then wall outlets for TV and PC.

I have been 'fibbed to' one too many times by cabletown so am leary about calling Directv. Also, just making an inquiry allows a business to telemarket one for the next 18 months.
    Thanks very much in advance.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Mounting a dish on the edge of the roof should not be a concern unless the roof covering is not a suitable material for mounting. I am 70, I have been with DirecTV since 1996 and have had only one problem with a dish / LNB in all that time. We had a close lightning strike and it knocked out the LNB. DirecTV came out and replaced it for $49.99. That is one call in 17 years.
    If mounting on the roof gets a good LOS ( line of sight ) and you still want it mounted on a pole in the yard, then a pole mount would cost extra for that. I have read that it is a $75 fee.

Switching from Cable you should be offered some really nice deals. Give them a call.

Welcome to the Forum.

1 person likes this.
  3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You should be able to negotiate with the installer ($$) to get a pole mount if you don't have a lot of trees. This involves a 2" steel pipe planted in concrete somewhere in the yard and shallow trenching for the cable to get to the house proper.

Siding mounts are kinda frowned upon.

4. PrivacyNut

PrivacyNut New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Midwest
    Thanks. I'm mainly worried about the roof mount because of accumulating snow in the winter. I can't get up there and would have to hire a handyman/woman -- IF I could even find one.

If it's a ground mount, do they bury the cable or .......... ?? Sorry if these are stupid questions.
    Thanks !!

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Thanks. I'm mainly worried about the roof mount because of accumulating snow in the winter. I can't get up there and would have to hire a handyman/woman -- IF I could even find one.

If it's a ground mount, do they bury the cable or .......... ?? Sorry if these are stupid questions.
    Thanks !!

They will typically leave the cable above ground. You would need to bury it or pay extra to have the tech do it.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    If possible the pole mount can be near the house foundation. Then there would be no need to bury the cable.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    up to 20ft of burying is included. then is a dollar a foot

8. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    That depends on the installer............ If it's a contractor they might charge to do it 20' or not.......

SIG

9. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    If you're concerned about snow, you can have a dish heater installed. Another option would be to buy a $20 water cannon and blast the dish with warm water if you get snow accumulation.

My dish is located at the peak of my roof and I use the second methodology (with the water cannon that I linked to).