1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation help assist please.

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by CoriBright, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    OK, right now we have a 61.5 with cable to the Dish 500 with Dish Pro Plus LNBs and two cables coming out of them..... each of those goes to a diplexor for OTA HD locals. One cable goes to the 622 with a Dish Pro splitter on it and yet another diplexor going to the antenna in. The other goes to a 411, with diplexor going to antenna in and to the sat imput (no dual tuner needed)

We want to add a 311 for connection to a Vista Ultimate PC for the Media Center stuff.

We have got a DPP44, but have so far been unsuccessful in getting a signal from the Dishes to it to get to the receivers. All the receivers acknowledge that when the DPP44 is in place it's getting power (the DPP Twin box changes to DPP44 with invertor and they can all see it, but there's no connection to the actual dishes. I'm thinking it must be because of the two diplexors which are between the Dish(es) and the switch.... is this possibly the cause?

The power invertor for the DPP44 I put between the cable from Port 1 to the 311 (SD locals are provided by Dish so we can get the guide).... but obviously the cables the other side of the switch (between Dish and Switch) have the diplexors on them so the two HD receivers can get OTA HD. I can try tomorrow to see if I can move them so that they come AFTER the DPP44 and see if that makes a difference. They're on ports 2 and 3.

Any brainiacs out there that could help me solve this one..... hubby is pissed cos I made him climb the ladder to try to get it working tonight after the sun went down a bit (no point in working outside in Vegas in 100+ if you don't have to) but he missed Mythbusters (AARRRGGGHHH)... no real worries cos it's coming down a torrent right as I type, so he will get to see it. We did manage to get it back to how it was so he saw the rest of his evening's viewing.

I found all sorts of installation diagrams showing all the Dishes and where the cables should go, but nothing including antenna for HD OTAs.... and we can't wait till 2008 when Dish might finally provide HD locals to us to get the media center recording - that would kind of completely defeat the object of having the ability to do it! I'm loathe to call Dish out, since we joined them they've been out several times and last time left all the cables which used to run to our SW64 (which is still fixed to the wall, unpowered) and another six cables to the Dishes and it's rather a mess up there. If only they'd have taken the unwanted and unused cables away we would have finished earlier tonight but trying to work out which two ARE the working ones when there are so many was a total nightmare.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble.... maybe this will make it clearer

61.5 to 110/119 on DPP.... two cables from there to diplexors on each where the OTA joins.... then into the two main rooms with one to 622 (with diplexor and DPro Splitter) and one to 411 with diplexor (for OTA) only.

Want to add 311 with no OTA (no point really cos SD locals come from Dish).

Thanks for any and all help.

2. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Putting the 311 on output 1 was a smart move, saved you the hassle of dealing with diplexers and the power inserter on the same line.

For the other 2 outputs,
    LNBs > DPP44 > diplexer > diplexer > receiver

3. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Yes, you can not put the diplexors between the dish and the switch. Moving them to a point after the switch will solve at least that part of the problem.
    It's also easy to get confused about which way to install the diplexors. Make sure you are facing them the right direction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.