1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation Issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Dawg81, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Dawg81

Dawg81 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Covington, GA
    Several years ago I started having reception issues with my roof mounted 3 LNB Slimline dish (not SWM) due to a tree that had grown tall enough to block the signal. I installed a SWM SL3 dish myself in another location on my property and aligned it using a Digistat III Pro. Since then I have not had any issues. I have a HR20 and a H24 connected to this SWM SL3.

This past week I removed the old non SWM dish from my roof and installed it on the workshop in my lower pasture. My plan is to move the H24 receiver to the workshop or purchase another receiver. I tried to connect the H24 to this non SWM dish and align the dish using my Digistat III Pro and this is where I ran into issues. My questions are:

1) I believe I need to use a B-Band Converter with this receiver on the non SWM Dish, correct?

2) What does the B-Band converter do?

3) The H24 will not power the Digistat III Pro dish aligner. I checked and there is no voltage on the coax. Should the H24 be putting out voltage? (The internal battery on my Digistat III Pro is not holding a charge)

4) Am I doing something wrong to get the H24 to work with my old non SWM slimline dish?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    the 24 will need a BBC to upconvert the 250-750 MHz band into the range of the 24.

You'll need to get the 24 to change setup from the SWiM to get the 13/18 volt output.
    On SWiM it's disabled,

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Connect the H24 to the non-SWM dish. Go into setup, satellite settings. You will probably find the dish type is greyed out. Select the multiswitch type to be "multiswitch" Then select your correct dish type. Now the H24 will operate on the non-SWM dish, and will deliver 13/18v.

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    And in case you're curious about the B band's importance;

On the signal level screens CONUS beam transponders 99( c ) and 103(cb) numbers 1-14. And spotbeam transponders 99(s) and 103(s) numbers 15-24 all use the Ka "B" band.

5. Dawg81

Dawg81 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Covington, GA
    Thank you for all the replies.

I have the info I need now to get this straightened out.