1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation of DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by DLite, Feb 12, 2009.

1. DLite

DLite Mentor

Oct 6, 2006
    Hi,

This is probably a pretty basic question, but all the info about SWM's and such is overwhelming my feeble brain.

I recently moved into a new house and had DirecTV do the installation of our equipment. We have one HR20, and one plain ol' receiver. The installer ran two lines from the dish to the HR20, and then plugged another line into the cable TV wiring that goes to the kitchen, where the receiver is plugged into a pre-existing cable TV outlet.

Everything works fine as is, but we are now thinking about upgrading the kitchen receiver to a DVR. Is there any way to avoid running a new (second) line all the way from the dish to the DVR in the kitchen? In other words, is there some way of exploiting the single-wire cable TV connection? It's a pretty long run from the dish to the kitchen, so I'm hoping for a solution that circumvents the need to do that.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Brannayen

Brannayen Mentor

Sep 7, 2008
    Yes, you could use a SWM set-up and use only the one wire you have. Best bet would be to let a technician do it for you, for if you're in a DIY mood, you can get plenty of help here.

3. DLite

DLite Mentor

Oct 6, 2006
    Excellent.

I would probably get someone competent to do this, but I would at least like to understand what is going on. A couple of questions come to mind.

First, will my existing HR20 DVR be happy with the SWM setup, or will I need to replace it with something newer?

Second, my understanding is that the SWM has to be connected directly to the dish. Is that correct?

Finally, what exactly happens on the other side of the SWM -- am I running one wire to each DVR, and then splitting them near the box somehow? If not, what is the basic manner in which the wiring would be configured with a SWM?

Thanks for your help and your patience with these simple questions.

4. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    For an existing customer with only 4 tuners any SWM would be DIY.

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Nope all goood

In your case if you're getting a new box you can get a SWM LNB which replaces the current one and put a splitter where the wires enter the house.

No splitting required at the box, just one splitter with single line to each box. A power inserter needs to sit at one box.

6. DLite

DLite Mentor

Oct 6, 2006
    That all sounds great.

If DirecTV won't do the SWM install for someone in my situation, is this the kind of thing an independent installer would be able to do?

7. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Yes, if they have access to SWM he could. I'd use an independent to do the SWM part and see if D* give you a deal afterwards.

8. illuminations25

illuminations25 AllStar

Dec 26, 2007
    This post caught my attention and I just want to have some clarification...

I currently have an HD DVR using 2 outputs from the dish and 2 standard receivers using 2 outputs total for the max 4 coming out of the dish.

I'm thinking of upgrading one of the standard receivers to another HD DVR since I'll likely get a flat screen for that room sometime this year and I can get the HD DVR for $99 according to the DTV website.

With that I'd need to have another line run from the dish making that 5 total. I'm not intent on having it be a SWM, it can be a multiswitch (I think that's what they're called) doesn't matter to me in fact I'd probably prefer a multiswitch since I think people said SWM's need electrical power and they have to splice into your electric lines? (Could be wrong about that?)

Would DirecTV provide a tech to come out and run that new line if I am "purchasing" (leasing) the new receiver from them? Am I going to be charged for a service call for that?

I do have the protection plan and am current with all payments on it and my account.

Thanks!

9. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    If you order, via D*, an additional tuner which would require additional lines, they should install it for you and provide all necessary swithes, cables, etc.

10. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Few things of note:
    -SWM is only for new customers and not upgrade. But I am sure some techs can bend that rule
    - Not sure what equipment you have but only D12s support SWM as far as SD non DVR boxes go
    - SWM does require power. But that is just a power brick at one of the IRDs.
    -IT would be an upgrade so PP does not apply. The price will depend on CSR / Account standing / etc.

11. illuminations25

illuminations25 AllStar

Dec 26, 2007
    Thanks davring and Mertzen.

I had figured that if I needed more lines from the satellite due to an upgrade in service that it would be provided by them as part of the upgrade.