1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation Problem?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Kevin1514, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Kevin1514

Kevin1514 Cool Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Hi, I recently had a slimline dish installed with a 6x8 switch, but am concerned it might not have been done properly. I noticed on my neighbor's new installation that the tech connected a green grounding wire to his switch and when I looked at mine I noticed that there was no grounding wire and just the coax cables connected to the switch. Is this a faulty installation or was this done properly?

2. mjones73

mjones73 Icon

Jun 20, 2006
    Your system technically needs the dish grounded and the coax at the location it enters the dwelling, the switch isn't required also.

3. Kevin1514

Kevin1514 Cool Member

Aug 24, 2008
    If I were to look at my dish how could I tell if it was grounded? Also the coax enters my dwelling at 5 seperate locations since all of my wiring is outside.

4. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Most often it is grounded at the mast.

5. Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000 Godfather

Mar 26, 2008
    Yes technically the mast should always be grounded with a 17 gauge copper clad steel ground line.

But to be properly grounded there must be a ground line somewhere near the switch. Either directly from the switch to an approved ground source or from a ground block immediately before it. The ground line isn't always green either, thats just the common color for it. Should be 10 gauge solid copper, thats all thats important.

6. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Got pictures of the outside work? Would help us provide advice.