1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation Problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Impala1ss, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Impala1ss

Impala1ss Godfather

Jul 22, 2007
    :nono2: My installation story with D*

I was supposed to get my D* installed (new customer) last Monday. The installer arrived and

there was a light rain but he said he saw lightning and didn't want to walk around with an

antenna and pole while it was lightning. I couldn't disagree with him but he stayed about 1/2

hour looking at the job - where the antenna would go on a pole, where he would ground it, and

looked at the wiring in the attic. He said it was an easy job and he hoped he could do it on

the reschedule date the following Saturday; he said he thought it would be reassigned to him.

He discussed the job with me and even cut off about 3 inches off a pole he had because I

wanted a longer pole and he didn't have any longer. He left and I tried but couldn't find

another pole.

On Saturday, another installer arrived about 9:15 AM. I showed him what I wanted, a pole

mount, and where the BHN cable company cables were located. He advised me that a pole

installation was an additional $75.00 (and included burying the cables); When I ordered D* I

had told the CSR I wanted a pole and asked if it was part of the free installation and was

told yes. The first installer also didn't say there would be an extra charge. I told the 2nd

installer to go ahead with the pole mount. He did work hard burying the cables with a very

heavy tool which cut a straight line about 12 inches long each time he dropped it on the

ground.

Then he proceded to dig the pole hole about 30 inches deep in the sand we have as soil here

in Florida. I asked him how he was going to prevent the pole from twisting and whether he

used concrete in the hole. He advised he would put a "roof foot" on the bottom of the pole

and that would keep it from twisting; concrete wasn't necessary. He did it and started

aligning the antenna. As he was doing so the pole/antenna twisted. He was shocked it would do

so (in the sand). I told him it needed concrete. He said he didn't have any so he would have

to reschedule the job for over a week so he could get some. I asked if we could go to a local

Home Depot and get some while he worked on the wires. He said OK so we went and got a bag for

him. He dug the pole out and I saw that he had attached to "foot" to the pole with wire ites,

not screws. I told him to screw the foot to the pole first. He finally installed the pole

with our cement.

I asked him if he was going to replace the old cable company wires with RG6 wiring. He got a

Zinwell switch and told me that would "turn all the old wires into RG6 wires." I said I was

surprised. He installed the switch in the attic and came back down into the family room where

our HD TV is located. I had two cable outlets in the room because I recently had the cable

company install a new RG6 cable outlet to make sure I had the necessary HD wireing. The

installer then advised me he was using all the cable company wiring but in order to allow

both tuners in the HR 20 to record at the same time he would use both outlets. I told him I

wanted all wiring to come out of the same hole in the wall at the newest location. He tried

very hard to convince me his way was best but I simply told him I wanted it done my way.

There was already one wire there and he could simply run another wire down the same drop or

even better simply tape the new 2 wire D* cable to the wire coming from the attic and pull

the new wire back up to the attic switch using the old RG6 wire. He then told me it would

cost another $52.00 for him to go into the attic and pull the wire. I asked about the "free

installation" once again but he said going into the attic and dropping the wire was extra. I

told him to do it and I would talk to D* later. He kept talking about how hot it would be in

the attic. He finally did it using my flashlight - he didn't have one- and it took him about

5-10 minutes. He didn't have to drill any holes and simply dropped it down along the one that

was already there.

Everything was finally installed and I had a picture. It took him about 6 hours start to

finish and he worked the entire time. I had to write a check to him personnaly, not to D*,

for the extra work but he reduced the total cost from $127 to $100.

Now to learn how to set the HR20 up because he didn't really know how to do it for my fairly

simple 5.1 surround sound system. I'll post more about PQ as I get time to watch it but it

seems OK now. And I'll advise what D*'s response is. To be continued.

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    While the policies may vary from HSP to HSP, here is what I can tell you about my area.

Pole mounts are up to $75 if the customer requests it. The only time it will be free will be for a line of sight issue.

Wall fishes are up to $60 per wall. It doesn't matter how long it takes.

3. nevea2be

nevea2be Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    My pole mount was free and so was the burying of my lines. Some people just seem out to make an extra buck at the new customers expense. I think any extra charges for in install should have to show up on your bill before payment is due.

4. Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    Poles mounts are not free unless LOS Problem, or the installer feels it easier to slap it on a pole an begone.

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006

Yup, this is the normal policy.

However the check should have gone to the HSP. But I do understand him since he woulnd't have seen any of that check if he did turn it over to the company.

6. Impala1ss

Impala1ss Godfather

Jul 22, 2007
    New Problems:

Last edited by Impala1ss : Today at 08:16 PM. Reason: FURTHER PROBLEMS

Well, the system has gone down 4 times since the installer left. The first time it restarted after a cold boot. Went out about 20 minutes later and wouldn't come back on. Called D* and the service girl walked me through a number of steps which included unplugging D* bos, the TV and disconnecting cables into the D* box. Then restarted everything with cables unplugged, waited for the new screen saying looking for satellites, and then reinstalling cables. It came back on - for 1/2 hour and went black again. Then rebooted again and went to grey screen where it stays now. Can't get installer on phone, Mastec is closed for weekend and I got a Wed. service call. 4 days without TV, what a crock.

7. Rinkleroot

Rinkleroot Cool Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, first thing, always get the name of the csr that has promised you anything. I would have called D before the installer did anything once he told you about any extra charges. Your installer is an obvious Idiot, I'd expect that your dish is out of alignment, the pole might not be plumb as well, the cables/connectors are a concern too, and a multi-switch does not turn rg-59 into rg-6.

Call D back and tell them everything you've mentioned here and if they won't get it right tell them you'll get Dish Network. Good Luck!!

8. s57061b

s57061b Mentor

Jan 7, 2007
    Find the phone # of the local office of mastec and tell them what happen and if they do not seemed to want to help advice them that you will be writing a letter to the President of DTV explaining what happen to you and in your letter you will be sur to metion what HSP handled your acct. See what happens then.

Thats all I am at liberty to say

9. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I know it's one of those things that are different from one area to another. I get the check written to me for any custom work that I perform.

Impala1ss, yes, a pole mount and a wall fish are both custom work and are NOT included under the free basic install. It doesn't matter what an uninformed csr tells you. About the only thing you can try is to call D* and see if they will credit your account for what it cost you, but I wouldn't expect it.

10. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    FREE equals fast and dirty .... enough said

11. nevea2be

nevea2be Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    He was here for about 6 hours and left to get cement for the pole and while he was gone I cut down a few trees that where in the way. Maybe I just got lucky but the installer did nothing close to a shady job here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.