1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Installation Questions with Diagram

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by patmd, Jun 15, 2014.

1. patmd

patmd New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    SC
    The original 8 way splitter went bad on my DirecTV system. The installer did not have an 8-way splitter so he improvised with a 2 way and a 4 way. I would like to return to the 8 way setup, but I don't recall what the connections looked like beforehand..

I have drawn and attached a diagram of how I think it will work with the 8 way. I'd appreciate confirmation and/or suggestions BEFORE I make changes.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    SO is the current set up 2way >4 way > 2 way?

your set up looks good, although I dont like to split after an 8 way

what are your cable lengths?

3. patmd

patmd New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    SC
    Currently, the coax from the satellite goes to a 4 way splitter. 3 of the 4 connectors go to receivers. 1 of the connectors goes to the "power to swm" on the power inverter. Then "To IRD" is connected to a 2 way splitter and the remaining two receivers are connected to the OUT connectors on the 2 way receiver. The line to the HR-34 700 comes from the 4 way spitter and then goes to a 2 way splitter. One of the OUT connectors goes to the DECA and the other OUT connector goes to the HR-34.

All of this happens in a closet with a Control4 system and a rack. Then, from that closet, the coax goes to whatever room the TVs are in. I've no idea of their length but the closet is in the basement and then there is a main and second floor above that.

Finally, I have 4 other occasionally used TV's which receive cable TV. I am eventually wanting to get rid of that and add the additional TVs to the DirecTV system.

4. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you want an optimum set up, I would start by eliminating the CCK and connecting the Genie directly to your network via ethernet, you gain about 10 "DECA" dBs by doing this way and getting rid of the 2 way splitter. I would also make sure that the Genie and minis are on the same splitter and the H25 is on the 2 way if at all possible. adding for more TVs will mean that you will need a SWM16 unless you get more minis which is not recommendable since you already have 3. having a SWM16 may give a few more options wiring the equipment

5. patmd

patmd New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    SC
    What would I lose without the DECA? I presume I would not have internet on any receiver other than the DVR.

Is it possible to have just the 8 way splitter and no other splitters with the current 5 devices (receivers)? In other words, connect the Power Inverter "Power Out" to the red connector on the 8 way and then connect the 5 receivers leaving 2 connectors which I would terminate? Then I would just connect the router to the HR-34.

6. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I don't get the single grounding block, when the entire 8 way swm splitter can be grounded?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    internet functions, but connecting the Genie to your network will do the same job as the CCK

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Sure that would be the preferred way

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There are a few reasons, if the location of the 8 way there is no ground, you would use a ground block to ground outside

Since all the prewired seems to be inside the home, and assuming that there is a ground available there, DirecTV prefers to ground outside when ever possible

10. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I'm just used to the SWM 16 being outside already.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    TS has a SWM LNB. But I get the point

12. patmd

patmd New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    SC
    I am all about simplifying the setup. I understand that the HR34 has internal DECA already built-in.

If I eliminate the DECABB1MR0-01, will that mean that TV's connected to the mini's and the HD-25 will not have internet access? Or, does it me they can all get their access from the HR34.

Thanks so much for helping me with this. I am relatively new to DirecTV and just want to know enough about my system that I can resolve the most common problems without depending on others. While I love Control4, it does add a lot of complexity to my AV and makes me worry about ongoing support from the local provider.

13. patmd

patmd New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    SC
    Revised Installation without DECA.jpg

How about this? The diagram eliminates all but one 8 way splitter and removes the DECA. Will this work? What am I sacrificing?

14. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    That diagram would work fine.

Your HR34 will "bridge" your internet to the deca cloud.

1 person likes this.
  15. patmd

patmd New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    SC
    Will I need a band stop filter on the HR34? All of my receivers are connected to coax but I really don't understand coax vs. Ethernet network. Then it is complicated by the Control4 setup.

16. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Band stop filter are used to block whole home frequecies. You wouldn't want one on your HR34.

Sent from my SM-N900V using DBSTalk mobile app

17. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This is your best set up. The HR34 will connect ALL receiver to the internet. no need for BSFs or anything else.

With this set up the only thing you are sacrificing less headaches down the road, not bad!

18. patmd

patmd New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    SC
    See attached for revised installation.

Attached Files:

19. patmd

patmd New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    SC
    See the attached photo. Everything seems to work but I show a yellow warning triangle in settings. STB Services Port: N/A(202)

Maybe it is related to my removing the DECABB1MR0-01, but I don't know what to do about it. I rebooted the router and still get this triangle and code.

Attached Files:

20. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There should not be any issue with that. But if you want to fix that do an IP address forwarding to those porta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk