1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by GARE, Jun 24, 2010.

1. GARE

GARE New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    After a 10-yr stint with TWC, we've signed up to switch back to DTV and I've got some probably dumb install questions.

1) We're planning on keeping our Internet service with TWC. So will we need a new cable run/jack to the room where the modem is hooked up?

2) We were thinking about moving the cable modem down to the room where our HD DVR will be located. Is that a good, bad or indifferent thing to do as far as the DTV installation/performance is concerned?

3) What's the story regarding connection to a phone line? I don't have a phone jack anywhere near the HD DVR or HD receivers, but have one somewhat near the room where the the standard receiver will be.

4) I've signed up for the Internet connection so we get the On Demand access. Is there anything we need in order for this to work?

5) Last but not least, is there anything I need to look out for regarding the installation. I've read through a lot of the install threads, but they are way over my head. :confused:

Thanks is advance!

2. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    1.) You'll need a separate coax run for your TWC internet. Or in other words, you need coax runs for DirecTV and a separate run for TWC.

2.) Shouldn't be a problem as long as #1 is resolved (one coax for DirecTV, one coax run for TWC).

3.) Don't need a phone line.

4.) Just need to connect your DirecTV HD-DVR to the internet. With the cable modem in the same room, I suspect you'll connect the cable modem to a router and also connect the HD-DVR to the router via ethernet cable.

5.) Just make sure you have the issue figured out about how you will have one coax run for DirecTV and another one for TWC internet.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    When the installer shows up, walk/talk through the entire installation before letting him start any work. Make sure you are in agreement with what is to be done, and how it will be done.