1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installation questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by some dude, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. some dude

some dude New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    I'm going to sign up for dish network in the near future, but before the installer comes I would like to have a pipe cemented in the ground for mounting the dish, and I would also like to have one rg6 cable run to that pipe. My questions are as follows:

If I order the hd package and america's top 250 which satellite dish (500, 1000, superdish etc) am I likely to get, and can it be mounted to my 2 3/8 OD galvanized steel pipe?

How many rg6 cables will be coming from the dish, and will these go into some type of switch with only one cable going to the receiver?

Which receiver will I likely get (I'd prefer the vip622) and can it receive normal and hd programming with only one rg6 cable run to it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    How many TVs will be connected? What receiver are you ordering, that is the one you will get. Standard pipe size for 500 & 1000 is 1.625". Superdish which is doubtful is 2" or 2 3/8" suggest 4 RG-6 cables from the dish to the house just to be safe.

3. some dude

some dude New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Thanks for replying. I'm only going to have one tv connected. So if I run one cable from my tv location to the general area where the installer will put the switch, then he can run however many cables he needs to that switch and hook up the one cable I ran to the tv? The switch will convert however many cables are coming from the lnbs to just one, right?

4. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    1 5/8" diameter on the pole. You are right in that the switch will combine the sat signals from the LNBs for transmission through one RG-6 cable. Most in this forum will advise you to place a minimum of 4 RG6 cables from the post to your house or cable junction in the house. The differences in equipment/connectivity or future DirecTV use, if you change providers, will necessitate the extra wiring. Do it now while the trench is dug and area around the post is open.

5. some dude

some dude New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Thanks. You've both been very helpful. :)

6. 585960

585960 Legend

Feb 4, 2007
    Awesome that a customer has the foresight to do this. :biggthump And definately run 2 sets of dual w/ground line to your house. Leave 10 feet at the dish and 10 feet at the house so theres enough line to install dish, and service loops at the house where grounding should be.

7. dartonviper

dartonviper Legend

Mar 10, 2004
    If you already have that pipe in the ground they do make a pipe adapter that sllides over the top of a larger diameter pipe. It works really slick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.