1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation update

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by xceebeex, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Jul 5, 2010 #1 of 12
    xceebeex

xceebeex Legend

Jun 17, 2010
    Well, I had my install on Friday and figured I would update everyone as to how it went. I was pretty nervous with the whole install, but I went forward with it anyway.

First, I had the CSR make a note that I wanted a HR-24 for my HD DVR and i didn't really care which HD Receiver that I got in hopes that I would get at least the HR-24. The installers showed up at about 915am or so, it was two young guys (I am 29 myself and they were about my age), one of them was training so that got me a little nervous. Anyway, the first thing they said after they introduced themselves is that they had the two new units for me so that was my first sigh of relief.

We went through the house so I could show him where I wanted the two units and then showed him the basement where my existing cable lines came in. He told me that they could re-use the cabling since it was up to their standards so we agreed to go ahead and do that. I then mentioned that I had called to make sure I was getting everything I needed for the Internet Connection Kit and he said that it did not appear on the work order but he had everything in his truck (except for the PI, but he called his supervisor to drop one off). So I was thinking sweet. Well it wasn't that easy, I had to call and have it added to the work order and to do that I had to cancel the existing order and redo it so they could charge me the $25 charge.

Took some time of being on hold, but finally got it all set, or so I thought. I went to go log in and submit the rebates so they could be in the system before activation and notice they forgot to put one of the rebates on, so I call back. Have to cancel the order AGAIN and redo it. So I go ahead and do it and they finally get it right. Luckily the installers continued on with the install while i was taking care of all of this.

Fast forward a bit and they complete the install. They give me a high level overview of the guide and remote and verify that the MRV was working and asked if I had any other questions. Overall, I am very happy with the way the installers worked with me to make sure I got what I wanted. The only thing I wished they checked with me was the location of the dish. They told me where they were going to put it and that was fine, but they didn't put it as close to the edge of the roof as I would have liked, but I guess that is not a huge deal since you can't really see the dish from the front of the house anyway.

Now I just have to get used to the new channels and figure out how to use all of the features. I went away for the weekend so I didn't even get a chance to play with it at all.

2. Jul 5, 2010 #2 of 12
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    $25 charge for the "internet connection kit" ???? Didn't know they charged separately for that part of MRV.

3. Jul 5, 2010 #3 of 12
    bigbrother52

bigbrother52 AllStar

Jan 19, 2008
    Since an internet connection is not required to have MRV service, I think they can choose to throw it in, or they can charge.
    From what I read here, I think a charge for these parts to connect to the internet during an install, is more typical then not.

I don't believe I'd feel ripped off if I didn't manage to get them to throw it in.

4. Jul 5, 2010 #4 of 12
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Which I of course do not see as fair at all for DirecTV to charge additional for the ICK since their MRV solution allows no other way to connect the individual receivers to the internet/Home network now except through an ICK.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly love MRV, though some of its features need improvement, but one of its downsides is that by necessity it's formation of the DECA cloud takes away the ability to now receive DoD, TVapps, Media Share, and DirecTV2PC other than via an ICK.

5. Jul 5, 2010 #5 of 12
    xceebeex

xceebeex Legend

Jun 17, 2010
    Yea, I was hoping it would all get thrown in as part of the install, but unfortunately I wasn't in a good place to negotiate with the installers being here already. I see where some people were getting charge $150 for them to come out and install that separately so for $25 I didn't feel like arguing.

6. Jul 5, 2010 #6 of 12
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    BTW, curious as too whether or not the formal ICK on the left is really being distributed yet, so what type of ICK did they install. The official one specifically designed for the broadband function on the left or just used a regular DECA dongle with a PS or PI (not pictured) on the right?

[​IMG]

7. Jul 5, 2010 #7 of 12
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    New customers don't pay for the MRV upgrade part but they are required to pay $25 for internet connection because it takes another line to be run.

8. Jul 5, 2010 #8 of 12
    xceebeex

xceebeex Legend

Jun 17, 2010
    Yes, this is what I was told I was paying for, not any actual hardware.

BTW, I have the setup on the right in the picture above.

9. Jul 5, 2010 #9 of 12
    john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    +1 for truth. Been there and done that.

10. joshferg

joshferg Cool Member

Jul 9, 2010
    I have an install scheduled for July 14th that included Whole House DVR. After reading this thread I was concerned that I should have order the Internet Connection Kit also. After calling customer service, I was informed that I did not need to order the kit and that my recievers would be connected to the internet by the installer as part of the standard professional installation.

Does this sound right?? Seems to differ from the experiences mentioned above.

Thanks

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    No, I'd call again and make sure that the internet connection is listed on the work order, IIRC there would be a $25 additional charge for that connection. I've seen one too many posts from folks that didn't get the internet connection because the installer said it wasn't on the order and then having to have a second truck roll schedule to install that additional DECA.

12. joshferg

joshferg Cool Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Thanks, that what I thought. Just wanted a second opinion. Its a shame you cant call and get correct answers.