1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation was'nt the best

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Scarpad, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarpad

Scarpad Legend

May 22, 2006
    I was getting a HD Upgrade, installer came and installed the slimline on the roof above where my 3lnb was located. Hooked up the H20-100 and could not get a signal, finally as it was getting Dark he tells me that this is his first HD install and they are a pain. Has to get a tech here, the tech was in the area and he had the dish pinted and a signal coming in. But two boxes we tried were dead and would not activate. So 20 min before 1st Pitch of last nights game I'm back to SD. Installer comes today this morning and just left. But after showing me 1 HD Channel and Leaving , TNT, I find I'm only seeing about 3 HD channels. The Box is now DL (very Slowly) new software. Someone tell me I'll have the additional channels once it finishes? The boxes last night got errors after trying to DL software for 30 min. Seems like the installs always wind up like this. On a 12-5 install window the guy comes at 4 pm leaving him to install in the Dark, and leaves before everything is set up. This after high pressure to get the Service plan telling me everything including Box replacement will cost me $$$ when, yes , when the box blows up , cause "I Own it", really I thought it was a lease.

I cannot even get thru to DTV to inquire as to my package. So far no so good.

2. Scarpad

Scarpad Legend

May 22, 2006
    Box just powered itself off, then upon power up said download failed, hit red reset switch, then started to DL again, same as last night, this is a nightmare.

3. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Are you getting any signal strength on the 99 and 103 satellites?

4. Scarpad

Scarpad Legend

May 22, 2006
    When he activated the box everything checked out seemed I was gett High 80's /Upper 90's now I can't tell cause I'm suck in the DL loop. I got in touch with DTV, who eventually got me to a tech, she checked the card (which after coming out gave me a heck of a time trying to get back in) and now it sitting at the downloading screen. SHe says to let it go for an hour. I'm very dissapointed in the 3rd parties they get to do their installs, that and supplying these guys with refurb junk boxes its frustrating. Now it could be 72hrs or more before resolution, and then I might have to take time off from work to wait for these guys. I'm ready to throw the whole thing off my roof.

5. zukiblue

zukiblue New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    If you had a triple sat previously you might have had an off air antenna as well. You have to make sure there are no diaplexers in line anywhere. Also, make sure you are not using any rg59 cables anywhere. Lastly, if you are using more than 4 lines from the dish, check to see what type of multiswitch you are using. The only thing that will work with the new HD system is a 6x8 multiswitch. If it has an off air antenna input on the multiswitch, then it is definitly the wrong type of switch.

6. Scarpad

Scarpad Legend

May 22, 2006
    Box finally did come up. However I don't think I have all the HD channels I should, I have total choice plus, and the HD Pack, not getting Sci Fi HD or FX HD so I have to ivestigate this.

7. Scarpad

Scarpad Legend

May 22, 2006
    Apparently, after going thru with a tech not all the sattellites are responding, I should be seeing 4 and one is coming up with an error, tech should've caught that if he knew what he was doing, so Now my options were take a Day off from work on Tuesday, or Next Saturday from 8-12pm , the same incompetent will come. For my Troubles DTV gave me a week of the HD Package for free. A Whopping $2.90 credit. Direct TV Sucks.

8. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    There is a stickie at the top of this forum:

HD Receiver Installation FAQ

For weeks it has included two main resources:
    HD DVR (HR20) Ordering Tips
    Receiver-Installation-Tips.pdf

By getting the install at the right time slot, talking to the installer beforehand, verifying signal strengths, and working through the other tips, there is much you can do to help insure you get a great installation.

Key question: Did you sign the installer's paperwork stating that the installation was completed correctly?

- Craig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.