1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installer coming on Monday - which receiver and what should I know ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sdocean, Oct 25, 2009.

1. sdocean

sdocean Cool Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Installer coming on Monday 26th, 2009

Which HD DVR receivers are they giving out now?

Which HD DVR receiver should I try to get or NOT get instead?

What do I need to make sure he does during the upgrade to an HD sat on roof and other parts? Such as AM-21 or B-Band converters or whatever else.

I have read post over the months but can't recall the problems I need to watch out for.

Thanks for the fast help on this subject!

2. sdocean

sdocean Cool Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Yes my questions are all based on HD DVR upgrade that they will be doing.

And the sat dish will be replaced on the roof where it already is.

Is there equipment at the 'cable' box inside the house that they have to change out or run more cabling through the walls other than the 2 to each room that already there.

Thx

3. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    If you purchased HD programing then you just want to make sure your receiver can do this. Should be one of the H2x or HR2x series depending on DVR.

The AM21 is only needed if you want to receiver your locals via OTA.

The key is to make sure that they installation goes as you want. The dish should be placed on the roof where you prefer taking LOC into consideration. I also would verify that they dont leave until its activated and working properly. It will save you time and them money from avoiding to have to return. Once its done let us know how it goes.

Welcome!

4. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Sorry I made changes to my post and it moved. As for the cables inside the house. If your not adding any rooms then probably not. Unless you get a SWM setup which I doubt in your case but could happen. The rules on this have changed recently. You may want to take a peak at that thread. Since your doing HD DVR upgrades then it should be the HR2x series.

5. sdocean

sdocean Cool Member

Oct 25, 2009
    If anyone knows, regarding which HRxx they are giving out, which model is the ones they are handing out recently.

Can we try to demand/force a certain model?

Thx

6. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    You get what the installer has in the truck. The only way to guarantee a specific model is to go to to an outside retailer like Best Buy, etc. and purchase out of pocket.

7. nitsudima

nitsudima Cool Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I had an HD upgrade install a few weeks ago. They replaced my round dish with a new Slimline, replaced my multiswitch with a newer model, and of course set up my new HD receivers. In my case they were two HR23s (I think 700s, but I don't recall for certain), but you'll get what they have on the truck.

From what I understand you kind of play installer roulette, but I was fortunate to get a fantastic crew. I walked him around the house and showed him where the old dish was and explained that I wanted the new one in the exact same place. I also told him I already had 2 lines running to each room so he didn't have to even think about running any new wires. And of course I gave him access to my existing multiswitch. FWIW he told me that D* was discouraging installation of SWM, and if I wanted to do it for some reason it would cost extra. I don't know the details of that policy, but I suspect they have that in place for upgrades like mine. Perhaps a brand new installation would be a different case.

He didn't leave until both DVRs were up and running -- I don't think he would have received full credit for the installation without calling in some of the codes they gave him upon activation.

Like I said, my installer and his helper were excellent, but no matter who you get I'm sure it will help if right at the beginning you show him where everything is, explain as much as you can about your current setup, and tell him exactly how you want the new equipment installed. Knowing your existing setup will make things easier for him (and less likely for him to duplicate work), and discussing everything up front will give him a chance to tell you if he doesn't think something you want will work (and then you two can work out the options from there before any work has started).

Good luck!

8. sdocean

sdocean Cool Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Update:

They installed a a few HR23-700 units.

We still have our old HR10-250 units working as well.

There is NO lease on these. I didn't sign a lease form even though the installer thought I should.

We said we are going to move/switch DVR's old and new around in the rooms every now and then.

They were slated by DirecTV to install a SWM according the to worksheet I saw but they didn't even though they verified with DirecTV that they did (probably to get the credit and sell the SWM parts - fine with with if I didn't really need it).

They put in a few 6x8 switches instead to be able to go to our 7+ boxes in the house. They said it would be better for me.

Ummm is that true? We have 2 lines running into every room already and they all work so what are we missing by not having a SWM installed.

They replaced our old dish with a weird elongated egg shaped dish.

He said I should only be able to get 2 satellites only. 101 and 103. Is this true? I thought we should get 3 different sats since it is a 3 LNB.

Thanks

9. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Unless you shelled out around $400 per dvr, they're leased - it's part of the standard customer agreement, no specific lease form.

The SWM allows you to run 1 line to each DVR instead of 2 and supports 8 tuners (4 HR2x's). However, if you're keeping the old HR10 and have 7+ boxes, then the standard SWM Lnb wouldn't work.

The non-swm lnb sees 5 sats (1 of the lnb's is a tripple lnb). You should see 99, 103, 101 at the very least (99 & 103 have all the new HD stuff).

10. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I think you did good with exactly what you got.

11. sdocean

sdocean Cool Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Well like I told them, I don't care what they tell or do with D* to get what they need out of them. I just don't want a future problem without a SWM. Seems everyone always wants them and I can't figure out how I would benefit since I have 2 lines running to each room already. Any thing I can miss here?

I did hear them have a problem with the 3 LNB. Possibly broke it or something as they were asking if the other guy had another one. That is what worries me.

I saw the item and it have 3 round holes on it under the plastic. The dish was very widely egg shaped or stretched.

I am worried that they broke one of the LNBs and set my equip up anyway.

How would I verify what I have and what should I see on the screen?

Thanks for the help. You guys are great knowing so much and having my back :D

12. nitsudima

nitsudima Cool Member

Feb 5, 2009
    As I understand it, since you are keeping older equipment hooked up (your HR10-250s), you could not use the SWM. That hardware will only work if you have all new equipment.

As far as verifying the LNB, I'm not sure if you can do that, but you can at least check to see if you are receiving signals from all the sats. I don't remember exactly how to get to that point in the HR23 menus (I'm not at home to look), but if you poke around in the setup menus I'm sure you'll see options for checking satellite signal strength. Once you're in there you'll see how to look at each of the sats and check transponders for each tuner.