1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installer here, problems connecting HR34

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dnelms, Feb 27, 2013.

1. dnelms

dnelms Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    Swapped out a HR20-700 that was hooked up via component. It was working fine with the TV. Installer put the HR34 and hooked it up and you get the start screen, then it goes blank. He swapped out the box and with another one and same thing. We then tried HDMI on both and it worked on both. Why would the component input that worked 2 minutes ago, not work on the HR34?

Any known issues with using component on the HR34?

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Shouldn't matter-Can you connect something else to the TV port you were using and get a picture?

3. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Directv boxes boot up in 480p. Some tvs dont support 480p on component.

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Glad you found the solution. Is there a preference for using component?

5. dnelms

dnelms Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    Once it is booted, and setup, I should be able to swap the connections, correct?

6. dnelms

dnelms Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    TV only has 2 HDMI inputs, and I had my Roku and Apple TV hooked up to those ports.

7. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    i have a TV hooked up the same way and it can't display 480P on component, I just leave it alone after it restarts and in a few moments the DEV changes resolution, while it is booting, and the picture returns.

8. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Hook it back up with the component connections and cycle through the resolutions to see which work using the format button on the remote.

Then go into menu/settings/display/tv resolutions and uncheck the ones that dont work.

9. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    You might also want to check the componet connections to make sure the colors match up. The back of an HR20-700 is diferent than the back of an HR34. Ive been behind colorblind techs before.