1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Installer Left Old Dish Up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Mr. Bungle, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Just got a Genie installed last weekend. The first thing the installer says is that direct tv no longer supports where my dish is mounted so he needs to install one at the top of the roof. Not a problem. So he installed a new dish that was exactly like the old one I had, and left the old one up there connected to nothing. When I called DTV about it they told me, "They are not allowed to touch the old equipment. It is your property now." I don't have the means to take the old dish down. Its way up there and I don't have a ladder tall enough or the tools needed to take it down. Am I in the wrong here thinking that they need to take this thing with them? :mad:

2. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    It's yours, you own it. Some installers will remove the dish and mast, but you don't want to remove the base unless the shingles are replaced. Simply using roofing tar or something similar isn't good enough. The holes could leak. It sounds like you are better off leaving it.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    policies have changed. Per OSHA regulations installers are not supposed to leave their ladders without proper fall protection gear. I guess you can request the dish taken down, but you will have to sign paper work stating that DirecTV needs to install roof anchors for the fall protection (they will not remove them) and if they leak, you cannot held them liable.

4. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    The dish is not mounted on an area where there are shingles fortunately. Just on the side of it where its only wood.

5. Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    Nope it yours. You could have asked him/her when they where there but it is "your" property.

6. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    I have an old DISH dish on the roof. The previous owner was a DISH subscriber.

I asked the DirecTV installer when he came if he could just take it down.

He said "we are not allowed to touch dish network equipment."

All well and good but the dish is clearly not working and he could have reused the mounting space. But I can understand the policy.

Hurricane Sandy blew the LNB off and now it is hanging by the cables. I guess when it gets warmer I'll have to go up with a 35 foot extension ladder and take it down. Not really looking forward to that.

7. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Yeah if I knew he left it up there I would have. But I didn't go outside until after he left.

8. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I would suggest that having a $20 bill in your hand, when you are asking them to remove a dish for you, will often cause installers to forget what are and aren't "allowed" to do.

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If your dish is mounted through your shingles and roof sheathing into your roof trusses, you should probably leave it in place. I used my old one and mounted my OTA antenna to it.

10. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    In this case, you should leave the base plate in place. But there is no reason to keep the mast & dish connected that base plate.

11. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    Personally, I wouldn't have anything but a pole mount. IMHO & YMMV.

12. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    Personally unless the dish was a threat to national security i would just leave it up. If something would happen to happen to the main dish it make a handy temp. solution to get some TV back in the house till a tech could come and repair the other.

13. gomezma1

gomezma1 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    I have seen where they take the dish and mast off. And leave the base still mounted. Alot better than risking roof leak.

14. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Heck I have 3 dishes for DirecTV. 1 on my roof and 1 on the side of my house and 1 in the ground on a pole. The 1 on the roof is about 25+ feet up and its an AU9-SL3. The one on the side of the house is an 18" round. The one on the ground is an AU9-SL3. The installer each time left the last dish up. He told me if LOS became an issue with the ground mounted dish (snow and easy maintenance) I could revert to the roof mounted antenna. All the cables are still ran for all 3 dishes.

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I keep two slimlines installed/mounted, and have several Phase I and Phase III dishes hanging from the rafters in my garage. My "main" dish is on the roof, hard to get to. My backup is bolted to the side of my deck, about 5' off the ground. It is my experiment/test/wipe the snow off dish (on those very rare occasions I get snow).

16. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Can you reach it with a pole saw? Just cut the wires and drop the lnb and leave the rest? If you don't want to get up there.

17. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    Can't use the same mounting bracket either.... Dish network and Directv masts are not the same Diameter anymore. Directv masts are 2" ODU , Dish still uses 1 & 5/8" ODU masts......... A new mast has to be installed.

18. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    When I upgraded to HD my installer left my old dish in the middle of my lawn :nono2:

19. Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    Because it's your property

20. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I thought Dish had a model with a 2" mast.