1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installer Placed DECA Adapter in place of cable modem.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by nwporter, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Jan 30, 2011 #1 of 109
    nwporter

nwporter Cool Member

Jan 30, 2011
    I have a slight problem. When my installed moved us to another address last friday we added whole home dvr. The installer was very nice and said he could put a DECA adapter where my cable modem is and hook it to my router and move my cable modem to my "smart panel" closet. Also there is another DECA adapter in the smart panel with coax going to my cable modem then a ether cord going from the modem to the other DECA adapter. He told me it was confusing however it would make my internet speed faster. So I said sure go for it. Everything worked great for a week. Well last night I had to do some tidying up and I unplugged my router and that DECA adapter. Now when I turned everything back on it says it has a connection but it says "no internet access" then every webpage says cannot be displayed.

I know in the past when you unplug something you are supposed to unplug Modem then router then computer and then hook back up the same way. However I have tried every possible combination of things to get this to work. The only way I can have access to the internet is if I run a long ethernet cord from my "smart panel" directly into my cable modem into the back of the computer. This is very mind boggiling to me becuase it sees the connection however it just cant load the page.

If anyone has any ideas or anything it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. Jan 30, 2011 #2 of 109
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    After the tech moved the cable modem to the smart panel, how was the modem connected to your router? A coax carrying the cable signal had to be plugged into the cable modem and a CAT5 (ethernet cable) should have come out of the cable modem and run to the router.

- Merg

3. Jan 30, 2011 #3 of 109
    nwporter

nwporter Cool Member

Jan 30, 2011
    It looks as if my cable modem is coaxed in and there is another DECA adapter there with a ethernet cord going from my modem to that other adapter.

4. Jan 30, 2011 #4 of 109
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Kind of think this isn't your best setup.
    It sounds like there is only one coax to where your router/modem "used to be".
    The modem was moved and the router wasn't, so now your modem to router is using the DECA link.
    This isn't how it should have been installed.
    Since this "did work", you may have mixed up which port on your router is connected to the modem.

5. Jan 30, 2011 #5 of 109
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I'm still trying to visualize exactly what the installer did here? :confused:

Since the OP had internet access for a while, did he connect the incoming CATV coax to the cable modem in the smart panel and then connect the ethernet out of the CM to a DECA adapter for a coax run to another DECA adapter near the router to bridge to it?

If so there needs to be DECA power adapters (and AC supply of course) for the DECAs in both the smart panel and the one near the the router.

6. Jan 30, 2011 #6 of 109
    nwporter

nwporter Cool Member

Jan 30, 2011
    This defintley worked however I never unplugged any ethernet cables. I only unplugged power cables so they defintley could not have gotten mixed it. I seem to think it is possibly in the order that I am rebooting the devices. But i have 4 devices (Deca adapter and router in office then Deca adapter and modem in smart panel). I could be WAY off base here.

In the smart panel there is coax coming from the panel where it is run through the house going into the cable modem. Then there is a ethernet cable going from the modem to the DECA adapter. Then there is coax going from the DECA to the direc tv coax box where there are a couple of coaxes plugged in. The thing that is REALLY frustrating is that the only things that were unplugged that caused this to stop working were the power cords to the router and deca adapter in the office.

7. Jan 30, 2011 #7 of 109
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This is why this type of installation shouldn't have been done.
    They shouldn't have used a DECA between your modem and router.
    The whole idea of DECA is for the DirecTV equipment to be on the router side of your network, and NOT between your router and modem/internet.

8. Jan 30, 2011 #8 of 109
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Maybe it's time for you to post more information as to what wiring you have and then we might be able to suggest a better way to configure everything is such a way that it will work.

9. Jan 30, 2011 #9 of 109
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    OK;

I can see what the installer was probably trying to do in the sending your internet ethernet data through the DECA cloud, but you can't do it, at least not this way anyhow.

The "receiver" side of the coax output of the DECA dongle in the smart panel should go to a power adapter to set up a dedicated DECA coax link from the CM to the router, and not to what sounds like the SWM splitter from what you've described.

Are all the lights on and green for the DECA dongle in the smart panel, and do you have an AC supply available somewhere in the smart panel?

10. Jan 30, 2011 #10 of 109
    nwporter

nwporter Cool Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Yes all the lights are green and i do have AC avail. I tried moving the cable modem back to its original place and that will not work. I am at a total loss here. I called DTV and they said they were going to have the local office get back to me. Sounds like I will need the original installer back out here. Bad thing is I run a home business and this is killing me. oldschool what wiring info would you like to know?

11. Jan 30, 2011 #11 of 109
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It would help to know what the hell is going on. :lol:
    Why was the modem moved in the first place?

Without know what is going on, "the best thing" I can see would be to move the router to where the modem is now and connect:
    modem -> router -> DECA -> coax -> DECA -> computer
    This should get you back online with your PC.

If you have a switch you could add it between the DECA and computer and then connect your other ethernet cables/network.

12. Jan 30, 2011 #12 of 109
    dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Since the OP works from home I think the best thing is going back to basics to get him working again. I'd move the Modem back to the router and remove any DECA connections from either. Just a modem --> router --> computer connection. If that works he can re-introduce DECA, if not then we know there's an issue with the modem or router. The installer likely also "messed" with the cable modem coax; you will need to make sure the office coax going to the modem is still "live" with the cable signal.

13. Jan 30, 2011 #13 of 109
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Something we may need to watch:
    So far there are three "helpers", and each has a different "solution", going a different direction.

14. Jan 30, 2011 #14 of 109
    nwporter

nwporter Cool Member

Jan 30, 2011
    The problem is there is only one coax in the office. So I moved the modem from panel to office plugged it back up however it does not get a connection. What would i move back into the panel in place of the modem? Do i move the DECA in the office back in there? so there would be 2 decas in the panel?

15. Jan 30, 2011 #15 of 109
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You need to tell us EVERYTHING you have and where.
    Do you have a DirecTV receiver in the office?
    Why was the modem moved to the panel, so the coax could be used? For what?
    Going back to having the modem in the office means the other end of this coax must connect to the coax that the modem is in the panel room.
    Do you have ethernet cables running anywhere?
    What is your home network?

16. Jan 30, 2011 #16 of 109
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    OP, tell me if this sounds right. You had a coax running from the cable company that came into the smart panel and then out to your home office where the cable modem and router were set up.

The DirecTV tech took the cable modem and put it near the smart panel. He ran an ethernet cable from the cable modem to a DECA. The DECA is connected to a PI (power adapter) on the same side that the ethernet cable plugs in to. On the other side, it is connected to a coax that leads to one of the DirecTV splitters. The cable that leads to the home office from the smart panel area is now connected to one of the DirecTV splitters.

On the home office side, he took the coax that comes out there and hooked up a DECA. The other end of the DECA has an ethernet cable that runs to the router and a PI that goes to a wall outlet.

If that is the case, the DirecTV tech did not perform the install correctly. By doing this, your receivers are creating a conflict as they are on the same line as the traffic that is going from the modem to the router.

Do you have the ability to run an ethernet cable easily from your router to anywhere that you have a receiver? If so, your setup should go back to its original configuration. At that receiver, an additional splitter would be used. From that splitter, you would run one line to the receiver and the other would go to a DECA that then connects to that ethernet cable. The installer should either have done that or run a new coax over to where your router was.

- Merg

17. Jan 30, 2011 #17 of 109
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "I swear", if there is one more "helper" here, before ANY OF US know the layout... :nono:

18. Jan 30, 2011 #18 of 109
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    :lol:

Hence, the first part of my post to see if that clarifies the setup... :)

- Merg

19. Jan 30, 2011 #19 of 109
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Let's see if I have this correct.

Before the decas were install: Cable from panel to office. In office, cable modem and router.

Then comes the deca install.

Installer either couldn't or wouldn't run a dedicated coax to office for the broadband deca. So...

Internet coax was hijacked to be used as a sat feed from panel to office.

Now there is panel->cable modem->deca-office coax->deca->router
    as well as panel->coax->recievers

The reason that moving the cable modem isn't working is that, that line is no longer connected to your cable splitter. To put it back the way it was, you will need to trace that line and move it back to the cable splitter wherever it may be.

If your going to try and leave things as they are.
    Ensure that the cable modem alone is connecting to the internet. In other words, make sure the appropirate lights are on. Once that is confirmed, then you need to work on getting your internet from the modem to the router. Deca in pane and the one in the office will need all three lights on. Last step would be to check the router, it may need to be rebooted/reset.

20. Jan 30, 2011 #20 of 109
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I'm not going to try to help, this is already making me dizzy.