1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installer Stole my ANT Feed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Homebrew101, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Homebrew101

Homebrew101 Legend

Jul 12, 2006
    I have had 2 H20's for a few years now and finally upgraded to an HD DVR on Friday. I should add that I have a rooftop ANT to get locals OTA and had ANT lines running to each H20.

The installer was here Friday while I was at work, the wife knows nothing about installs so had no clue. She called me after he left so I could order the AM-21 tuner :)mad: that's another story). The AM-21 arrived yesterday so I went to hook it up last night. Now where the heck is my ANT cable at? SOB, there are 2 SAT lines but no ANT line, :eek2: the installer must have been too lazy to run his own feed so he hooked up my ANT line as a SAT line and changed the connection in the basement from the ANT feed to the SAT feed.

I had extra coax available so I was able to run another line but I was a little bit upset. He had such an easy install - all he had to do was run the 2nd SAT line and hook it up and activate it, he never even demonstrated it to my wife and was too lazy too run his own line. :nono:

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Call D*. He'll be back charged and you get another tech.

FYI. If you're not able to be there write note and let your wife give it to him.

3. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    You might get a few bucks credited on your account. That was really uncalled for. DirecTV needs to really pay these guys more so they won't do stuff like this.

4. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    The best pay in the world isn't going to help with idiots like this.:nono2:

5. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005

This may be true...I'm just assuming he did it to save time and thus get to more calls to make more money.

6. DtvSlave

DtvSlave Legend

Nov 14, 2007

It could be (without additional info from the OP) that since the new HD DVR more than likely does not have OTA and there was no AM21 present that the tech may have been unaware that those "extra" lines were gonna be used. If that is the case??? Why not use them? The OP himself has said that the wife is not in the know about these things so maybe she wasn't able to tell the tech that those lines were gonna run to am21's.

Now knowing that the OP has said
    Maybe the tech was informed and was/is in fact an idiot. But with the info provided, and being a retailer/technician myself, if I was not informed of the intended use, I probably would of used those line aslo, as would 99% of all techs, and for the record we are not ALL idiots.

7. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    I'm sorry but when I do my site survey and see that a line is run from a OTA to a IRD I don't touch it or inquire.

8. Homebrew101

Homebrew101 Legend

Jul 12, 2006
    I thought of that possibility also. The AM-21 cannot be present as you probably know.

D* will not sell a subscriber one unless there is compatible equipment already activated on the account. That's why I had my wife call me as soon as the installer left - so I could get the AM-21 ordered and on it's way. It kind of sucked watching football playoffs on CBS in SD since D* and the local CBS station have yet to have an agreement for HD.

For the record, my wife is aware that we watch/use OTA everyday, he never commented on the ANT line. I called D* this morning and the CSR was sending a message to his supervisor about this. I felt bad about calling it in when he mentioned he thought they sometimes get a $750 chargeback for matters like this - it wasn't that big of a deal, of course if I didn't have 50 feet of coax handy it would have been much more inconvenient.

9. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    BS. No chargeback is that high. Damage claim maybe. But don't feel bad. Lazy tech need to be shown the right way somehow.

10. thespaceghost

thespaceghost Legend

May 23, 2008
    Completely agreed. Let me offer two points; As an installer, I've came across countless of installs like this; Wife at home and husband ordered it. The wife doesn't know anything except to "install it". Most installers dictate what they are going to do, I let my customers dictate what they want. If its in reason, I do it. If im given free reign, don't complain on how I did it.

Second, even the less technical minded customers will tell me what not to use, such as OTA lines.

IMO, if the WO was signed off that the installation was performed to (signee's) approval, then the tech shouldn't be backcharged a dime.

11. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    even without the am21 the antenna feed is still viable for the tv tuner itself. so the arguement that the installer didn't know the feed would be used is baseless, especially considering he/she had to physically disconnect it from the antenna to use it.

this is unexcuseable and is what gives instalelrs that don't deserve it a bad rep.

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I completely agree. Reusing existing lines is standard procedure, as many customers go crazy if you have to drill more holes and run new lines on their house. It is no problem to go ahead and run another line, but it's up to the customer to let the tech know.

Many times I've been left a note from the "informed" spouse on what he/she wants done, and other times I've been asked to call the spouse at work or wherever. I have no problems doing this. But if you leave someone home to "supervise" the work who has no clue what's going on, then you shouldn't be surprised to get something a little different than you expected.

Would you have your wife drop off your car at the mechanic with instructions to "fix it", without any further elaboration? If you did, you might end up with the intended item unfixed, and/or a lot of things fixed that you didn't want fixed right now.

In the future, if you know what you want, try to be there, and if you can't, make sure you communicate your wishes clearly, or ask to be called. This time, your wife signed off on the work. Getting the tech in trouble now is both unfair and unwarranted.

13. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006

Not really. Not only was the wire connected to the OTA it was also connected to the H20. Obviously in use. I bet you he didn't notice it till he was putting in the new box and said ' screw it'.
    Reuse lines: hell yeah, Disconnect lines that are used: no touchee. :nono:

14. Rakul

Rakul Slacker

Sep 3, 2007
    The way I read the OP, and maybe this needs clearification, is that the line was attached to an antenna at one end and the H20 at the other end. If so the tech had to remove it from both the antenna and the STB. I can't imagine this a logical step in anyone's mind without asking first.

15. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    I think both the OP and the installer share the blame. If I knew I wasn't going to be home for an install like that I'd make sure my wife knew exactly what to tell the installer we wanted. Leaving someone who doesn't know what is wanted or what to check to sign off on the work that was done is asking to have it not meet your expectations.

On the other hand the installer had plenty of indications that OTA was being used. It was connected to the receiver that was being replaced and to the antenna both of which the installer had to disconnect. Combine that with the fact that they should know one of the major locals is not available in HD via DirecTV and it should be abundantly clear the customer is using OTA and is going to want to continue using it.

16. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    and this is why I wish Directv would just trust those that want to be trusted and send us the equipment on its own more often! (I did finally get them to send just the receiver on my latest addition).

It is hilarious when most of the time I am telling the installer who comes what to do and how to do it, and usually end up setting things up while they work on calling in and activating the equipment :p

17. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    OTA work is an extra. If there were OTA lines connected to the H 20s they should have been connected to the antenna coax ports on the TVs. The tech would have known about the source of the local channels.

Also the tech should have left a number to reach him..........less opera plot.

Now he needs to come back and run another line.

Joe

18. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    i usually dont speak up on these topics, but the tech made a big mistake when he disconneced the ota line from the antenna. sorry, but thats just plain lazy and he knew exactly what he was trying to pull off......

19. DtvSlave

DtvSlave Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    Yes, having an ota line connected to an h20 does show that it WAS being used. Unless the OP got an hr20 or older HD DVR there would be no ota to hook up to the new HD DVR and unless the OP or wife indicated that it needed to be hooked up to the TV or that an AM21 was being ordered, there would be no way for the tech to know that the OTA line was going to continue to be used.

It is people that make blanket statements that really drive me crazy those are usually the same ones that get bent out of shape no matter how something goes down, they just need a reason to blow their horn. If the ota wouldn't have been used and the tech made a new hole for a new line then he would be wrong for "damaging" the customers home for no reason.

As stated above both people are to blame. As a tech you do need to ask questions! But as someone who visits these boards and is surely aware of the pitfalls of having a tech in to do work, why would you leave something like that to chance?

It is not like this is the first post of the OP nor has he only been around for a few days. The horror stories fill this board of bad techs and their actions. Time and time again someone is on here bashing this tech or that tech for doing something stupid. I my opinion and only my opinion, if someone has been on these boards for a year and a half and still leaves things to chance then YES, they are just to blame as the techs they have been reading about for that year and a half!

20. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    They only get paid $25.00 to do an install, so anything they can do to save time helps them. But if they were paid $25.00 per hour they (or at least I) would take my time and do a better job.