1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Installers actually swapping receivers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by PhilipDC, May 24, 2010.

Tags:
  1. PhilipDC

PhilipDC AllStar

Aug 16, 2006
    Falls...
    I have my Connected Home install this coming weekend. I have two HD DVRs (HR20-700 and HR21-100)--no problems there.
    I'm getting a new HD DVR to replace a non-HD DVR (R16-300) on a HD TV. I'm also getting a new HD receiver to replace an old Tivo DVR (R-10).

Here's my dilemma--my 7 yo daughter uses the R16 and has it pretty much full of kids show and movies. She is upset that I am replacing that receiver--doesn't really understand or care about the HD upgrade she will get on that setup. I'm pretty sure I own the R-10, so they probably won't take it, but I'm guessing the R-16 is a lease. Any chance the installers leave the old receiver behind? Or can I get them to take the R-10 instead of the R-16?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You can keep the R-16, but not have MRV with/from it.
    The R-10 must go.

3. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    There shouldn't be any issue with the R10 being replaced with the new HD DVR. He is supposed to take the R10. Mainly to prevent it from being swapped again and again in the future.

4. PhilipDC

PhilipDC AllStar

Aug 16, 2006
    Falls...
    To both replies, I know the R-10 (to be replaced with just a receiver) and R-16 (replaced with an HD DVR) need to go--the question is whether installers are actually leaving with the old receivers. Ideally, I'm hoping the R-16 is left behind so my daughter can continue to watch the stuff on it even even though it won't be hooked up to the dish. Thanks.

5. dave29

dave29 DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 18, 2007
    Just tell them you want to keep the R16 active, they won't take it.

Just make sure they don't deactivate it when they call in.

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Unless you've made some extra [cost] deal for this it isn't going to be replaced and if it is, you don't get to keep it.

7. PhilipDC

PhilipDC AllStar

Aug 16, 2006
    Falls...
    Yes, I paid for it to be replaced--bought a new HD TV last August, but had not upgraded the DVR for it yet.
    I remember instances in the past where installers were not actually taking the old receivers--that was the point of the original question. I'm not saying they SHOULD leave it--just wondering if they were for anyone that has already had the install.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Is the R-16 leased?
    If so, why would you think a "current model" would not be required to be returned, when taken out of service?
    If you want to keep it on your account, then you could hold on to it and return it after you've watched the recordings.

9. PhilipDC

PhilipDC AllStar

Aug 16, 2006
    Falls...
    I don't think that--please read my posts.

As for the leasing part of the question--I'm not sure. Here's how my bill lists my receivers:

Additional Receiver 5.00
    Additional Receiver 5.00
    Leased Receiver 5.00
    Primary Leased Receiver 5.00

Does this mean 2 are leased and 2 are owned or is it just a quirk in their system that "leased" is not on the first 2?
    I've been with Directv for 13 years, so I've lost track of when I got each receiver. I would guess that my 2 current HD DVRs are definitely both leased.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Those look like owned receivers.