1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installers Help Neede - Slimline Installation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BoydRice, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoydRice

BoydRice New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    I have an install set for Monday for D*. I am assuming I am getting a Slimline Dish since I want HD. I was feeling pretty good making a switch from cable to D* until I started reading about roof leaks due to dish installations. Seems like most people prefer mounts on a pole, which due to my small property and HOA I don't think is feasible. My house is less than a year old, with vinyl sidding and I live in the Northwest we get lots of rain. There are not LOS issues due to trees. I figured they would install dish on my roof with a tripod. If there are any D* installers who read this forum do you find that roof mounts are trouble and a cause for leaks? Am I better off having the dish mounted on the side of the house (not sure the wife would approve)? Any helpful advice would be great, I can't afford to have roof leaks with all the rain we get here.

2. markymouse

markymouse AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    My installer informed me that D cannot install over any livable space. It will be installed over the eve of the house. He told me if they install that way, the installers will lose their job if they are checked by QC.

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    No problems with roof mounting IF done properly. Thats where mine is. Right over the kitchen.

Here a few keys to a good roof mount:

At least two of the six lag bolts need to hit a rafter or some other bracing under the sheathing. Preferably the center two.

Two support struts are needed to provide additional stability.

The installer should use bishops tape or other roofing cement/caulk/sealant MUST be used at every penetration point.

In my D* QC field checklist, there is nothing saying that it can not be mounted over a living space.

4. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    My roof mount is done well. Granted it hasn't rained yet, but I hadn't read that too much when I did all the research before I signed up.

You will get a 5 lnb Slimline dish most likely.

5. vollmey

vollmey Godfather

Mar 23, 2007
    Yes, mine is the roof with no problems. I used a private company to do my install and he used silcone to seal the bolt holes. I've been in the attic to check for leaks since we have had 30" of rain this year and all looks good. Rain leaks I don't worry about it's snow melting and then freezing over a period of time that concerned me. I'll most likely go back this fall and check everything but there is no problems with the slimline on the roof.

6. soccercoach61

soccercoach61 Legend

Sep 24, 2006

Your installers must have gone to the same school mine did down here in Mississippi... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.