1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing a Dish 500 for 61.5 & 72.7???

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bcsman, Mar 4, 2010.

1. bcsman

bcsman Cool Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Have a Dish 500 presently installed for 110 & 119 with legacy LNB's and a SW21 switch. I would like to add HD to my programming and have another Dish 500 with legacy LNB's I could install. I have a couple questions:

1) My position is mid thumb Michigan Lat 43, Long -83. I have elevation and mag heading info for each of those sats individually, but with a Dish 500 dual what would be my settings for elevation, Mag heading, and skew??

2) What is the best way to combine all 4 legacy LNB's to feed my 2 receivers, a 301 and 211K?? With the 301 still need the MPEG-2 channels.

Thanks!!

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    D500 with two LNBFs is not suitable for 61.5+72.7 setup - one of the sat signal will be very low.
    Look for D1k4.

3. bcsman

bcsman Cool Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Have read something about separating the LNB's somewhat to expand the reach. Any truth to that or is this technique not feasable??

Thanks...

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is your life to waste as you see fit, but you have to ask yourself what you're really saving in terms of time and money versus what might be gained in the spirit of doing things the hard way.

If you have legacy twin LNBs, there's no reasonable way to adjust the spacing outside of moving the LNB in further from the dish. My theory holds that doing so will move the feed horns out of the foci of the dish.

In a world often involving Duo receivers, legacy switchgear is a pain that people should think twice about before bringing it upon themselves.

5. bcsman

bcsman Cool Member

Feb 20, 2010
    harsh,
    Thanks for the reply I understand what you are trying to tell me. But also in this world of limited budgets and money I'm just trying to use the equipment I have without spending anything else on new antennas or LNB's.

But you are exactly correct with your information.....

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Well, it's not that hard; remove the plastic yoke LNBF holder ( hope your LNBFs are separate units, not Twin); use your own creativity to make own holder with wider gap between (check it on a ground first and adjust for better signal). Some ppl used hose metal clamps, some metal bars. It open for your imagination. :)

7. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    An old legacy 64 switch could take the inputs from your 110 and 119 sats, as well as a 3rd input from 61.5 on your 2nd dish. Each lnb would have two lines into the 64 switch (hence the '6' in 64) and 4 available outputs to rcvrs. Probably easier to swap your existing dish out for a dish 1000.2. A dish 1000.4 will not work with your mpeg-2 301 rcvr. Only your mpeg-4 211k. :icon_cool:icon_cool:icon_cool

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    D1k4 will work with 301, but channels in MPEG-4 ( not all of them on 61.5W, but 72.7W) will shows dark screen.