1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Installing a H21-100 for tailgait...question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bungi43, Oct 10, 2013.

1. bungi43

bungi43 Mentor

Jan 17, 2011
    I just received an H21 from a friend. I'm going to use it when I go to football games so I have something to watch when I'm out in our parking lot before/after the games.

I have several old dishes and new ones, same with the LNB's from the years (2 line/3 line) and I have some of those bband converters. DirecTV is sending me a new access card so I can turn it on, but what exactly do I need to make it work in the parking lot? Which Dish, LNB and will I need the bband, and what settings when I get it fired up?

Thanks!

2. bungi43

bungi43 Mentor

Jan 17, 2011
    Sorry for all the re-posts. It kept giving me an error and wham, all these showed up.

3. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Among many other things, a 3 or 5 sat LNB

A plumb mast!! (so much easier to aim!!)

A TV big and bright enough to make it worthwhile

A slim line or trim line dish

patience for aiming (if you're near someone else with D* and they are up and running, note where their dish is pointing to start with

Did I mention a plumb mast to stick the dish on ??

Ok to use the signal strength meter on the receiver, just remember there is some lag in the readings

you'll get more help here shortly. Don't forget the BRATS !!!!!

4. bungi43

bungi43 Mentor

Jan 17, 2011
    Thanks. I've set up stuff before, but it's always been current stuff I've moved. So I didn't have to get other equipment, mess with the settings, etc. This is a Box and Dish separate from what's at home because I want it for all the football games I go too.

I should be good on the 3LNB and the slimline oval dish then. Just didn't know if I needed the bband converter, or if there was anything special in the settings once I have the box pointed and the signal coming in (which I've done before).
    Thanks!

5. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    If it is a legacy SL3 with 4 outputs you will need the BBC. If it is SWM (1 output) you will not need the BBC but you will need a power inserter

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    To my mind, a non-SWiM setup with a BBC is decidedly preferable -- especially if this is the only use of the H21.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, I agree with this as well

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Practice, practice, practice before you go tailgating.

1 person likes this.
  9. bungi43

bungi43 Mentor

Jan 17, 2011
    It won't be a swim setup

So I should be fine with a slimline 3 LNB, BBC and proper sky aiming?

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It won't be a swim setup

So I should be fine with a slimline 3 LNB, BBC and proper sky aiming?
    Absolutely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

11. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Note:

BBCs tend to be fragile, take a spare.

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Nahh, I have seen these things being "crushed" behind receivers and all is good....

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think at one point they were redesigned.

14. bungi43

bungi43 Mentor

Jan 17, 2011
    I think I have like 4 or 5 of those things from over the years. Hopefully I'll be good.

I may play around with it tonight. As far as getting it lined up to make sure it's good, I won't need an access card to do that, right? I can get into the menu to the signal strength without one, right? I haven't gotten my access card from them. I should have it by the weekend, but I want to play around with it some.

15. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I think I have like 4 or 5 of those things from over the years. Hopefully I'll be good.

I may play around with it tonight. As far as getting it lined up to make sure it's good, I won't need an access card to do that, right? I can get into the menu to the signal strength without one, right? I haven't gotten my access card from them. I should have it by the weekend, but I want to play around with it some.
    is a good question. I think after the receiver goes to the "please insert a valid access card" OSD, you can press MENU and get to the satellite settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD