1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Installing swm unit hook up how?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by john510, Aug 12, 2013.

1. john510

john510 New Member

Aug 7, 2013
    USA
    Im installing a new slimeline swm unit just with one receiver do I have to hook up the power inserter to the dirctv unit or just to the swm splitter?

this pic is of the 2 way splitter I am using a 4 way

do I follow the red line of blue?

Attached Files:

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You could follow the red line and skip the splitter completely.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My unit is hooked up with the coax from the dish to the power inserter and from the power inserter to the DTV receiver , no splitter on this unit as Veryoldschool stated.

I have read that the splitter and hook up the DVR using the Blue line you indicate on the sketch is preferred when you have the Whole Home DVR service.

4. john510

john510 New Member

Aug 7, 2013
    USA
    no actually I just have the HD unit no dvr and only one unit..

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, I understood that. The hookup is the same with an HD or an HDDVR using SWM

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "The why" seems to come from the DC block in the PI being too close to either the SWiM or the DECA in/on a receiver which ends up being a poor RF match.
    In both cases using a longer length of RG6 will resolve this.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My RG6 from the PI to the DTV receiver is just 3 feet long.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    For the SWiM to PI DirecTV recommends 15'.
    I don't know of a distance for the DECA to PI, but DirecTV's work-around is to use a 2-way splitter. Not all have problems with short coax.
    A splitter is just another way of adding a resistive component to the impedance to overcome the cap in the DC block.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Since I do not have Whole Home DVR my unit has worked fine the way it is hooked up since the end of May this year.