1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Winegard TRAVELER RV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Jodean, May 20, 2011.

1. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Who says you cant have MRV in a camper with an auto aim dish??

No problem!

Only took about 3 hours to install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For details you guys can watch the video at satinstallertraining site......

2. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Well, that spot where the puddle forms (the visible ring under the SWiM16) will certainly keep the switch cool. Before it fries the fittings.

3. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    I doubt that would ever happen. The SWIM16 is so hot it will boil all of the water away.

:lol::lol::lol:

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Let's see a picture of the reflector installed and raised?

Could you have used an SWM LNB? A SWM16 seems to be overkill for an RV.:)

5. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Sorry man, but that is one ugly installation. Looks like there's about ten pounds of caulk used on this job, including using it to glue the cables down?

A SWM16 on an RV? Is that a joke? A SWM8 would have been more than enough. And it really should be inside. (It is too bad that the Winegard can't use a SWM LNB. The auto-aim controller needs a direct LNB signal.)

It looks to me like the dish will hit what appears to be a crank-up OTA antenna if the two are ever raised at the same time.

I have to assume that this is one of those "RVs" that never actually moves. Otherwise all those loose wires on the roof would flap themselves to death going down the highway.

If anyone ever did a job like this on an RV of mine, there'd be hell to pay.

Keith

6. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    who says a crappy job can't be done and passed off onto customer.
    no problem.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    That SWiM-16 is going to be nothing but problems. I see you highlighted what was really important to you "Only took about 3 hours." Most people would have preferred a truthful "works like a charm."

8. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    why do you need swm for mrv in a an rv? ethernet works and for the small amount of receivers involved this hatchet job could have been avoided,
    I've reskinned an rv roof from crap like this, its fun.

9. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Wow, I feel sorry for the owner of that RV. :nono:

10. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    How many tubes of caulk did you use?

11. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    I used 1 and a half tubes of caulk. 3 is what is recommeneded but to me thats overkill. These RVs come from the factory will WAY more sealant around the skylights and vents than this dish has. I used less than recomened buts thats just me.

The "pool" is not a pool. That is where the area was cleaned so a good bond would occur.

No swm 8 available, only had a swm 16, not much difference just a little larger in size. I clipped where i could, the rest was caulked due to thin fiberglass shell on the forward facing surface.

The HAPPY rv owner is delighted on how the install was done. Loves the MRV setup.

No reroofing needed, its a alluminum roof. The owner decided he would just leave the dome mounts there rather than peeling them off. He had dish network.

Loose wires? You mean like the ones sticking up out of the antenna that actually catch the wind?? Cant help how RVs are put out of the assebly line, as we can do is better than factory.

12. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    It cannot be converted to a swm lnb. The dish uses autoaim signals from the legacy it has.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Wait until you get the call about the SWiM-16 crapping out when it sits in the hot [direct] sun. :nono:

14. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Just how big is this RV? Just how many receivers are being used?

15. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    sure sealant on bottom sinks won't help there either.

16. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    hey Jodean post some pics of jobs where you installed dishes on roofs. GUARANTEE its the same improper mess.

17. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Is this the "parked" position for this dish?

That SWiM16 may not be happy in the Arizona sun.

I would have put a few more tie downs on the wires going to the SWiM, and you might want to disconnect that motorized antenna as someone will at some point crash that puppy.

Aluminum roof?

18. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Barry, maybe he could install an Umbrella over the SWM16 that can be Raised or Lowered when traveling??? :lol:

19. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    SWiM16 a bakin'...cables a flappin' in the wind....caulk goo all over the place. A 3-hour work of art for sure.

20. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I'm not defending either side here, but most of the caulk you see was previously there. Its not that unusual to see this sort of mayhem on the top of a motorhome.

My only concerns have been stated above.

Jodean: can you please tell me how those wires are strapped down between the LNB's and the SWiM? It almost looks like there is a wire of some sorts going across the four COAX cables in three places.

If I was going to bake my SWiM16, I would have placed it in the spot between the dish and the motorized antenna. That way I would be using a very short run for those four COAX cables between the LNB's and the SWiM.

At some point I will convert my coach over to SWiM, but for now [unsupported] ethernet seems to be working just fine. I will be using a SWiM8, and it will be in a cooled cabinet inside my coach.