1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel just announced they will have TV service

Discussion in 'The OT' started by jimmie57, Feb 12, 2013.

1. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    They said it would be in the later half of the year.
    Live TV will be stored and not have to be recorded unless you are wanting to watch it more than 7 days after it's initial showing.
    This was on CNBC just a couple of minutes ago.
    They called it "Over the Top TV".

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I don't remember if this was discussed here or on another forum but...

Source

3. unixguru

unixguru Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    My opinion is that Intel is setting up another failure.

If its not a "value play" then the limitations of the internet will make it a failed play. It is possible that smaller bundles might reduce costs for many consumers. I hope it does because that will force sat and cable to shift to smaller bundles too.

The camera is spooky if you ask me. My Sony TV has a camera too and as a result it isn't connected to the internet :)

4. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Ridiculous. Content owners are still going to want to bundle their product. Not to mention the bit-starved crud that Intel will likely offer...if they ever even do.

5. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    simple fix for the camera

[​IMG]

6. unixguru

unixguru Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    Article:

service would be centered on a set-top box and would offer smaller bundles than those currently offered by cable operators, tailored to what customers want

A buffet of smaller bundles could reduce consumer costs for many. If this service doesn't then I don't think it will be successful.

7. unixguru

unixguru Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    My Sony TV also has a camera. I got some blackout (not the ones that just dim) stickers from LightDims thinking that would do the trick; it didn't. The camera could still see an awful lot. (With my TV it will show what the camera is seeing on a setup screen.)

I've been meaning to try black electrical tape but for the moment I simply have the internet disconnected from the TV.

At least Intel tells people there is a camera. Sony doesn't; I found it by accident digging through setup menus. I wonder how many other products there are with cameras that nobody knows about? :eek2:

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Tape will work if the camera on a TV is in the frame, but I've heard that some of them are behind the screen, somewhere.

9. Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia Legend

May 10, 2010
    *Fudge* that! I'm going to give up my privacy for what? So you can sell stuff to me? What a ridiculous idea.