1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intellect and musical taste

Discussion in 'The OT' started by John Corn, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Do you think the one is mirrored in the other?
    Are intelligent people more likely to like a different style of music than dumb people ?

For example...would intelligent people be more into classical music or "independent" music and would stupid people be more into music like teen pop or dance ?

I find that question intruiging really.

2. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    I think it has more to do with cultural upbringings than it has to do with intellectual prowess.

For example, I enjoy opera. In this country, opera is considered to be a high-brow, intellectual form of entertainment. However, my love of opera probably stems from listening to the records that my Italian grandfather played. He never made it past the equivalent of fifth grade at which time he came to this country and went to work at jobs which would hardly be called "intellectual". Opera is common folk music in Italy. In the USA, we make it a high-brow activity where women come dressed in slinky gowns and bedecked in jewelry and men in their tuxes (some who fall asleep during the performance).

3. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I definitely think that there is a connection.

Just from my experience, kids from more competitive schools are less likely to enjoy the top 40 than the ones from huge public schools. I also think that if you had to register the IQ of every customer that bought a CD, the ones buying music from HMV would grade lower than the ones shopping at smaller independent stores. Obviously this is a huge generalisation, and there are bound to be millions of exceptions, but it's a broad trend that I believe exists.

I also remember reading a cultural studies info about this. Blue collar workers almost unanimously chose "Blue Danube" while college proffesors almost unanimously chose something that was more difficult (Stockhausen or something like that), with white collar jobs (secretary, lawyer etc) in between.

I think that the people who buy Britney Spears records in large aren't as smart as the people who buy They Might Be Giants records who aren't as smart as the people who buy John Zorn records. You can do this in any idiom - the people that buy Jay-Z records aren't as smart as the people who buy Dilated Peoples records who aren't as smart as the people who buy Anti-Pop Consortium records. Kenny G < Wynton Marselis < Albert Ayler. (Not that there has to be 3 levels each time...)

Obviously I'm making some more huge and possibly offending generalizations. Suffice to say I think a connection exists.

4. Maniacal1

Maniacal1 Godfather/Supporter

Apr 9, 2002
    John, I like a wide variety of music, but left to my own devices, I'll most likely listen to country western music. Do I want to know where on your continuum this will place me? :)

5. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    This topic is tough since there's nothing factual to back it up with. It's pretty much opinion-based.

I listen to punk, ska, and alternative-rock, and according to my parents, it's "stupid music".

I think that people's opinions are based on the experiences they've had with the type of music genre. For example, many older people will look at a punk show and see kids moshing and crowd-surfing and label it "stupid and insane". Therefore, those people will think anyone who listens to punk is "stupid and insane". Who knows. :)

6. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Heck, some day punk rock may even achieve "classical: status (but I doubt it).

But consider that Jazz, which is now revered by many wealthy and intelligent yuppies, was once regarded as banal, vulgar, and prone to thrust humanity into lewd and lacivious acts.

Even in the days when symphonies were being composed, Mozart's works were concidered by many to be plebian and appealing only to the "unwashed".

And, of course, there is disco! :)

7. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I think there is a slight connection but its based on the individule, one of my friends is really smart, and is graduationg early and he like rock/alternative/punk. Myself, Im kinda smart, that just IMHO ofcoarse ;) And I like oldies and country but I love rock/alt/metal/punk. I like jazz, infact most of the time when Im online I have one of the jazz Muzak channels on in the background, but I cant stand classical, rap/R&B or pop.

8. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    There are very few genres of music that I don't like. Of course I don't admit to many people that there are country songs that don't completely set my teeth on edge. :rolleyes: My favorite music however, is Blues, with my new passion being Barbershop (as in singing, not just listening). Barbershop has got to be among the most intellectual music around, since it is sung without the crutch of instrumental backup.;) :D

9. May 1, 2002 #9 of 18
    STXJim

STXJim Legend in my own mind

Apr 22, 2002
    What I have learned is that good music is just like beauty...
    It's in the eye (excuse me.....) ear of the beholder.;)

Socratise..."To do is to be."
    Aristotle..."To be is to do."
    Sinatra..."Shoo Bee Doo Bee Doo.":D

10. ken4kne

ken4kne Legend

Apr 19, 2002
    I have somewhat eclectic taste in music. Scorpions, Glenn Miller, Iron Maiden, Henry Mancini, Journey, Rush, Andes Fusion, A Capella, etc. I love classical, opera, Britney Spears and Weird Al Yankovic. I don't think my enjoyment of these has less to do with my IQ and more to do with exposure, environment and mood.

While growing up, my Dad listened to Glenn Miller, Henry Mancini, Sinatra, Dean Martin, classical and jazz. You develop a sentamentality they equates music with memories. I grew up in the 60s so the Beatles, Grass Roots, Turtles, Lovin' Spoonful etc were the groups being listened to by my friends. In the military, I was exposed to music that I would call decidedly black and developed an appreciation for it. My roomie in Germany was into drugs and very hard rock. I developed a love for Scorpions, Rush, April Wine, etc.

So, some music makes me warm and fuzzy like when I was a child listening with Dad (Paul Harvey always makes me feel this way). Some music takes to the irresponsible memories of the 60s. Some is great pillow talk music ;) and then some just lets your hair down (what little I have left).

I still enjoy all these music types. I have to be in the mood to listen to a particular genre but music has a way of freeing you from your cares (even your inhibitions) and it brings back memories. I do find I have less tolerance for music that "evil" (rap and some rock today come to mind) in nature as I get older and my walk with God becomes more important. I still have lapses of judgement with regard to what I listen to though.

11. ken4kne

ken4kne Legend

Apr 19, 2002
    Did I mention Zamfir ;)

12. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    Look at the Ramones and Twisted Sister, there's 2 punk bands that are now considered classic rock.

13. Frapp

Frapp Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones ( who by the way will announce a 40th anniversary world tour next week ) has a degree in accounting and is known for being rather sharp with the dollar, or is it the pound in is case :)

just an interesting tidbit ...

14. Rage

Rage Fromer Member

Aug 19, 2001
    "Look at the Ramones and Twisted Sister, there's 2 punk bands that are now considered classic rock."

Twisted Sister is not punk in any way shape or form. Come out and play!

15. Rage

Rage Fromer Member

Aug 19, 2001
    I use to listen to bands like Twisted Sister back in the 80's. I still like some of their songs.

16. Martyva

Martyva Guest DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Why play Mozart, Pacabel, and Vivaldi for unborn babes?

17. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Ken, thanks for mentioning Weird Al. I love that guy. He songs are so funny and its fun playing his parodys in front of someone who likes the real song and watching them get all ps'd off. Someone I know is a big Eminem fan and he got real mad when I played 'Would The Real Slim Shady Please Shut Up'. Listening to Weird Al, to me, is a protest against pop music, which is why I started listing to him in the first place. I also like Weird Als country counter part, Cleadus T. Judd. Cleadus is funny but not as crude as Al.

18. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Yeah Wierd Al rules! Dont forget his Magnum Opus "UHF" comes to DVD in June! (I have mine on order) :D

Im a classic rock guy myself Pink Floyd was my favorite growing up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.