1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intelsat-18 at 180 W

Discussion in 'FTA / Non Small Dish Satellite Area' started by kenglish, Mar 17, 2012.

1. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I tried to see if I can point my 0.85m Ku dish down low enough to make 7.8 degrees elevation, but it needs a bit of help....probably have to mount it upside down. But, holding it perfectly still on the balcony railing, I was able to see some data trying to lock on I-18, even through some trees.

I'm waiting for a new receiver that can do DVB-S2 and MPEG-4, and I'll try again at the nearby park, where I have a good shot toward the west. Hopefully, I'll be able to see some programming from France TV and TNS providers, on the French Polynesia and US Beam.

2. Scott in FL

Scott in FL Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Interesting, but I think most of those channels are encrypted. I used to work for the company that uplinked these channels (GlobeCast Paris, uplinked from Sylmar, CA).

3. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Lyngsat shows a very few un-encrypted on there. I'm just "playing" with that one, not expecting a lot of programming. I used to watch some c-band from Wallis et Futuna, on NSS-9, here at work...same polarity as our BYU-TV uplink. It'll be nice if I get something on Ku, since so many hemi beams are only C-band.

BTW, Globecast SLC has their Business TV facility in the next room from where I'm sitting.
    Small world!

4. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Well, the new FTA Receiver came last week. I'm assuming I got Serial Number 1, because I've never tested such a piece of junk.
    I'll refrain from posting the manufacturer and model number until I see if they are going to issue some "fixes" for it.

Right now, it's search functions are totally flakey, and it's "Signal Strength" metering seems to be purely cosmetic (all-or-none readings).
    Maybe I just got a dud.

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Signal readings in digital are usually all or nothing, or otherwise pretty meaningless. Its the Quality reading that really matters.

6. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Yeah, that's what I tell OTA viewers all the time. I think the manufacturers just try to make their newest box show the highest arbitrary number they can come up with, to make their own product look "more sensitive" than another.

I tried adding some attenuation to the L-band input, to see if it was just slightly overloaded....after 18 total 3 dB attenuators, it tried to lock on PBS.
    54 dB made no difference at all, on Signal Strength ("90%"), and almost none on "Quality" (10-12% all the way).

I tried scanning, using the big Simulsat dish at work today. Found channels on about one-forth of the transponders that it saw activity on. I'll have to check against Lyngsat, and see if those were all video channels (some were likely broadband).

7. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Looks like the receiver I got was some sort of useless "clone".
    Remind me to never buy that "brand" again.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Could you reveal the brand and model to us ? To avoid fall into same trap ? :)

9. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    It was a clone of the OpenBox S11.
    No manufacturer's name or address on the unit or in the literature.