1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interactive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JulienPDX, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JulienPDX

JulienPDX Legend

Feb 2, 2004
    When I purchased my "DirecTV 2-room system in a box"..it came with a different channel guide than I had ultimately recieved with my first bill.

Namely, the box mentioned a "DirecTV interactive" service "powered by Wink Communications" that had a few extra channels that claimed I could interact with them. Even the receiver and the remote make note of this function.

However, when I go to the "interactive" center in my receivers menu..it does nothing. Also, the extra channels (such as Barnes and Noble) are gone.

What gives? :confused:

2. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    Directv recently severed their association with Wink Communications and the interactive channels have gone away. I haven't heard any information about the possibility of future interactive channels.

3. JulienPDX

JulienPDX Legend

Feb 2, 2004
    hrm...with dish, i was also able to go to a channel that had my weather and even let me play a few games..anythign like that with direct yet?

4. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    Hang on, DIRECTV is currently developing a new in-house run interactive service that will blow away Dish, if it is as good as they have said. The weather channel interactive is going to be on top of their list of channels to add the service to, since almost all cable systems offer local weather on the 8's of every hour, and DIRECTV needs something better to compete with cable and Dish, like local weather on demand, that is said to better than cable's fixed timing, so you don't have to wait till the 8's to get it. downside is that local weather will most likely be available only in DMA's with local channels, like it was before. other new interactive services will also be made available that were never seen before, this should all starts to happen when DIRECTV starts standardizing receivers sometime this year, and most likely you will need their new "DIRECTV" brand receiver to use this service, otherwise they may do software updates to older models, like Dish did with 721 and their interactive service recently. hope this helps with your answer! :)

5. JulienPDX

JulienPDX Legend

Feb 2, 2004
    "Standardizing receivers?" I have heard about this. One of the many draws to DirecTV (as long as I've always kept my eye on them)..was the ability to choose a manufacturer for your receiver. I have an all-Panasonic home theatre system, so I had wanted to find a Panasonic DirecTV box, but I noticed when I went to go buy them that all of the other brands have disappeared. I used to see SONY, Panasonic, Samsung, Philips, and even Mitsubishi branded receivers but now they seem to only be RCA and Hughes. I'm not a huge RCA fan, but that is what I ended up getting since the only "premium" brand receiver I could find was a SONY one that was only for HD. The Samsung and Philips units were ugly in my opinion.

So what is this "DirecTV" branded receiver of which you speak? Isn't this just Hughes?

6. stonecold

stonecold Banned User

Feb 20, 2004
    Hughes is the Direct TV brand per say.

Direct TV has been pushing for more standardized recivers. AKA Dish network There is now difference between a rca 301.13 and jvc 301.13 except one has jvc logo and the other has an rca logo.

Direct wants to start doing this so they can do Electronic counter measures against hackers like Dish does dont go after the card itself but write information to the reciver to disable it and mark it as a hacked box.

Write now if there wer to do this whtye would have to write 50 different programs to attack most of 4th gen or higher recivers. As almost all of the ones before the 4th gen recivers did not have Epproms but proms and are not upgradeable via the satellite stream but would require a replacement prom chip.

7. JulienPDX

JulienPDX Legend

Feb 2, 2004
    could you please re-write that last paragraph? in english perhaps?

8. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    I'm glad to hear that interactive may be coming back. I never had the service but it's something that I'd like to have.

I agree with Julien about the standardizing. I've always liked being able to choose the receiver and it's features. I understand why D* is doing it, but I wish there was some other way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.