1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Interested in WHDI Wireless HD?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Steve615, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
  2. rakstr

rakstr Legend

Aug 23, 2007
    OK, let's breath some life into this discussion!!!

I recently purchased a WHDI setup to get me access to DirecTV in my home office where it is just too impractical to run an HDMI cable.

This is the unit I purchased.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10105&cs_id=1010504&p_id=8088&seq=1&format=2

This works very well with my HR21-700's EXCEPT, any broadcast channel that DirecTV rebroadcasts will not "lock-in". It's almost as though there is something "incorrect" in the HDCP protocol for those stations that prohibit the device from retransmitting. I've read reviews that others have seen the same thing.

Hopefully, if this is the case, we can get some help from DirecTV in the form of a firmware update.... Anyone else using these types of WHDI devices and having any issues?

3. terrelliott

terrelliott Godfather

May 7, 2007
    Cockrum, MS
    I bought the Vizio brand XWH200. Spent 3 days (at least) moving all of my equipment from one side of the room to the other. Mounted the tv over the fireplace, ran the power behind it so it looked just like the ads on tv. No visible cables! Hooked up the XWH200 to my directv HR21-200 and my Vizio Blu-Ray player. It looked great! BUT, no sound. I messed with it for 4 hours, changing cables, rebooting, etc. Nothing! Finally went last resort and checked the Vizio troubleshooting site and found that they have "known compatibility issues with Directv and Dish Network DVRs" where there is picture, but no audio. The posted solution was to run an HDMI cable directly to the TV from the satellite receiver. DUH! That's not a solution. So I took it back to Costco. Judging from the reaction of the guy at the counter, it's not the first return he processed. I'm very disillusioned after the whole thing. I'm now trying to find an affordable video switcher.