1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interesting Al Jazeera article

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by oldcrooner, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Jun 5, 2008 #1 of 22
    oldcrooner

oldcrooner Godfather

Feb 23, 2004
  2. Jun 5, 2008 #2 of 22
    TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    I doubt you will ever see that channel on any US cable or sat system .

3. Jun 5, 2008 #3 of 22
    dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    deleted by O.P.

4. Jun 5, 2008 #4 of 22
    ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv Legend

Feb 11, 2008
    Link TV, 7:30pm Monday Thru Friday

5. Jun 5, 2008 #5 of 22
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    AlJazeera is my favorite news channel. Beats the slant of Fox and CNN...they just report the news, pretty slantlessly. Quite refreshing, and they cover stories the US networks don't bother with. If you really want it, its free on Galaxy 25 (97w). Might actually be possible to strap a linear ku lnb on the 99 side of a directv dish and use a $90 fta receiver to get it, its pretty strong. I use a 33" dish, and have no problems. Wish Directv would add it.

6. Jun 5, 2008 #6 of 22
    luckydob

luckydob Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    Al Jazeera not slanted???? go visit their website...if you still think there is no slant, then I'm guessing you just don't get it or you like "their" slant which is very anti-west/american. Wolf in sheeps clothing...

I have no use for this channel, much like the 42 shopping channels that we have now.

7. Jun 6, 2008 #7 of 22
    Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Most journalist peers consider Al Jazeera to be the best all-round source of real news from the Middle East.

If red-white-and-blue flags are required to be flown over what folks consider "news" - well, no, they won't pass. But, then, you might look up the definition of "parochial" some time.

Personally, I wish we had access to it on D*. Access being the operative word. Why should I respect those who would deny access.

8. Jun 6, 2008 #8 of 22
    luckydob

luckydob Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    ask a woman in the Middle East how much access they have...please let me know what journalist peers consider Al Jazeera to be the best all-round "real" news.

9. Jun 6, 2008 #9 of 22
    wallman21

wallman21 New Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Incase you guys don't know, Al Jazeera is available through dishnetwork in the us.

10. CKNAV

CKNAV Godfather

Dec 26, 2005

Not English version talked about here. E* only has Arabic version.

11. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Link TV has the best News program on it..... Democracy Now! real independent news.....

Aljazeer is pretty good, they showed alot of what was going on in Lebanon when Isreal was going nuts and targeting Ambulances and hospitals, stuff CNN and SHOX are afraid to show.

12. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Totally agree. We have absolutely no need for this type of channel. You just don't get it.

13. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    I wish Directv would get it. It would be nice to see some non-slanted news.

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Let's not delve into the politics of the channel... that's a discussion for another place and time.

15. Jables

Jables AllStar

Apr 24, 2008
    The way they're re-tooling, it sounds like they're becoming a clone of BBC World - in which case, just give us BBC World on D*.

16. GutBomb

GutBomb Godfather

Jun 17, 2004
    This is pretty much all they have ever been anyway. I don't see why people get so worked up about this channel. It's simply news produced in a different region centered in a different region. It's sports coverage is consistently top-notch. I think some people just have a hard time seeing "non-american" news as anything but "anti-american".

17. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    I'd like to see the channel be carried by DirecTV. Different perspectives and more options are always welcome. I'd really like to see some BBC content as well.

18. tftc22

tftc22 Godfather

Mar 29, 2007
    People get worked up because of the name. I think if people saw the same newscast without it being called "Al Jazeera" then they might have no problem with it. Having never seen the station myself (only online sample broadcasts), I really can't judge its content but I know many people who've never seen it already have strong negative opinions about it because it's been effectively smeared by the U.S. media. That is why it has so much difficulty being added. Some people may drop Directv out of protest if it was added.

Personally, I'd like to see it added to get at least some international news. (Of course all news is biased. You have to take it all in with a grain of salt.) I was watching BBC World News on my local PBS awhile ago and thought when was the last time I heard anything about Africa from the U.S. media? So IMHO any international news is a plus.

19. ahintz

ahintz Legend

Jan 14, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    I've always wished there was more international news coverage available, including BBC World News, CNN International, and Al Jazeera English. It doesn't bother me if the POV is different from my own.

Hopefully DirecTV as they expand capacity will be able to add more English-language international coverage.

20. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    To be fair, it's about impossible for reporting not to be slanted in someway, if only through what they choose to cover. The best one can hope is that reporters attempt to be as unbias as possible and not view everything through a clich├ęd Americanized version of conservative/liberal. What I would like is for a news channel that actually devotes the majority of it's time reporting news rather than reading press releases and speculating on what a Presidential candidate might do two weeks from now, which seems to be the chief occupation of the big three cable news networks.