1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting - HR20 POS or not?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by oldguy1, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldguy1

oldguy1 Godfather

Aug 22, 2006
    After all the messages the last year about the HR20 being a POS, suddenly (when users are getting HR21's) everyone seems to be clamoring for the POS HR20.

How interesting life can be.

2. jelliott

jelliott Cool Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Wait, aren't these forums only meant to whine? Get out of here until you have something to complain about. :hurah:

3. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    LOL! Nice... :D

4. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    All the comments from customers in October of last year were viable. The software issues were very bad. Now the software is rock solid. It is not perfect but with Directv On Demand and other features coming soon like Online Booking (you can schedule shows on a networked HR20/HR21). I have been happy now with the HR20s performance. By the way the HR21 is basically a black HR20-700 (there is a HR20-100 which was a black model initially and now is not). Also the HR21 does not, I repeat does not support OTA local HD broadcasts via antenna (there is no ATSC tuner in the HR21). Other than that it is a much better box than it was only 1 year ago. You hear similar issues from E* customer (Dish Network customers) about the VIP622 when it first came out. Check out a local retailer or independent dealer with an HR20 or HR21 on display to check the box out yourself. Good luck whatever way you go!

5. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Well, the well-trained HR20 crew is definitely happier today than they were about this time last year.

6. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    A year has shown a lot of very impressive progress, both in features and bug fixes. The HR20 is a box worth "protecting", and that (in its entirety, OTA included) is the source of the clamor.

The irony of the "change in attitude" is not lost on me, however, and I am very pleased about it. The real irony may be that we are working like crazy, with updates nearly every week, and now some "dealers" are saying they are being told there won't be any more HR20s in the pipe. Way too weird for my tastes, although there could be other explanations (like the HR20 will not be in the distribution chain, but will still be available as needed from D* directly).

Hope springs eternal.:)

7. davidjplatt

davidjplatt Legend

Sep 22, 2007
    I've been a TiVo user since the first SD TiVo for DirecTV (Sony SAT-T60 - still works) and I was finally pushed into getting HR20s for the new HD channels.

I must honestly say that after 10 days with my two HR20-100s I'm actually pretty impressed. Yes, Dual Life Buffers needs to be there and some other features should be added or refined, but overall it's not anywhere near as bad as I expected it to be.

Several of the features are better than TiVo while others aren't. 50 Series Links - needs to be raised. Channels I Receive - needs to be fixed and be rock solid. Pluses - easy eSATA, single button record, RF remote, all outputs active simultaneously.

The other thing that really needs to be there is home networking - ability to play a show recorded on one HR20 on another HR20 in the same house.

But in general, I'm pleasantly surprised with the HR20. To quote Dudley Moore in the movie Arthur, "it doesn't suck".

8. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Okay, I'll take the counterpoint here....people may believe that the HR21 is no better than the HR20 and now doesn't have OTA.

No, it's not a PoS...but it's still not where it should be.

9. flapbreaker

flapbreaker Mentor

Oct 21, 2007
    Should I care about no OTA HD on the hr21 if DirecTV provides local HD for my area? I'm more than likely going to have to break down and get their box soon.

10. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Depends. Do you want access via your DVR (vs. your TV tuner, if it has one) to PBS-HD or other local channels (including weather subchannels and the like) that DirecTV doesn't carry? If so, you would prefer the HR20. If not, HR21 is fine.

And to answer the original question, the HR20 is not a POS in my opinion (though I can see that opinion having been somewhat justified much earlier in the product life cycle).

11. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    yupper, comparing the HR20 from now to this time last year is like nite and day. Major improvments has happened since then. i'm alot happier now than i was last year at this time. :)

12. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm quite happy with my two HR20s and my HR21.

13. coacho

coacho Legend

Aug 21, 2007
    I agree with David's comments, but I am still amazed at all the problems I read about with the HR20. I have had mine 3 months and still back up most everything with the HR10.

Now it seems that D* new plan is to introduce another model lacking features, the HR21 without OTA, so that we will all suddenly want the HR20.

I still want the HR1020 (best of Tivo and the HR20) but we seem to be going the other direction.

14. lman

lman Legend

Dec 21, 2006
    It's my understanding that the HR 21 is the same as the HR 20 except for no OTA tuners. If you need OTA tuners, then obviously you need the HR 20. I would rather have something with DLB. Unfortunately DTV took that option away from me.

15. Bizarroterl

Bizarroterl Legend

Oct 20, 2006
    It is a POS.

16. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I have tw0 of them (3rd one due Nov 6th), and simply saying something is a POS doesn't inform anyone of anything.

Mine do what I want them to and I have had very, very few, and only minor problems for well over 6 months. 2 lost recordings in a year. 2 hangs in a year. Not much to complain about and certainly nothing that would qualify as a POS.:)

Constant updates, new features, bug fixes...the support cycle has been outstanding.

17. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    My wife gets very upset when a red button reset is needed, luckily on rare occasion. It's still better than the Motorola DVRs that we had through Comcast. I wouldn't have gotten an HR20 a year ago. It was very clear from many sources that it was a POS then. I waited until February when the major problems were fixed. It's been a good choice.

18. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    If you must post this, you really need to post the reasons why you feel this way. this is the only way "WE" can maybe help you, and your feedback will also help D* fix the issues.

19. alexcohen

alexcohen AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    If you look at some of my previous posts you'll see how much I hated the HR-20. I even got rid of it & went back to my SD Tivo. I've now gone back to the HR-20 & I'm not having big problems anymore. I did have to get a HR-20-100 replaced due to it's almost constant buzzing, but now things are pretty stable. If you are still having problems with more than one unit there's a good chance there's a problem with the dish or cabling. Have D come out & check it out, if they try to charge you just say something to the effect of "cable companies don't charge to come out", that will work.

Also, just my opinion, but when start adding SATA drives, networking, splitters, etc. you're just asking for trouble. You'll get the best luck with a straight unbroken compression connected cable run from the dish to the box.

20. flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I feel the HR20 is fine. I came from an HR10-250 (TiVo).

When I voted, I said I felt the HR20 was a good product.

There's lots of stuff I wish worked smoother, but the functionality is there for the most part, and the MPEG4 is very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.