1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Interesting news on Wireless Genie mini client

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tpm1999, Jun 28, 2013.

1. tpm1999

tpm1999 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    The weaknees blog has some interesting news about the Wireless Genie mini client. It looks like a base station needs to be wired into your SWM system to connect the wireless C41. This makes sense since the current double hop when using the wifi on an HR44 and Wireless connection kit+C41 can be a little problematic to get enough bandwidth sometimes.

http://www.wkblog.com/tivo/2013/06/directv-wireless-genie-client-c41w-information/

As soon as the wireless C41 comes out I will probably be trading in my wireless connection kit + C41 setup.

Any beta testers want to comment on this? ;-)

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    well, I guess someone is spilling the beans,....

3. tombo114

tombo114 New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    more garbage, wireless sucks, what they NEED to do for the WHOLE HOME GENIE is elimanate the client boxes, put all the guts into the GENIE and run each tv's wires from the main box, wireless is too flaky

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    DirecTV already has a great system for wiring Genies and TVs. Wireless is for those who cannot or will not run wire.

5. tpm1999

tpm1999 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    Dbstalk... The only tech site on the web where a large number of users are anti-wireless. No wonder it took directv until 2013 to finally put wifi in one of its boxes.

6. CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25 Mentor

Nov 4, 2007
    On a long...
    FWIW, and with a bag 'o salt...

installer at my house yesterday stated some "higher ups" have the wireless units at their homes testing them. One had the Genie (broadcast unit?) in the basement, and the wireless client in 3rd floor opposite side of house, and streaming was excellent.

oh yeah, October.

/em takes his empty salt truck home.

7. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    more garbage, wireless sucks, what they NEED to do for the WHOLE HOME GENIE is elimanate the client boxes, put all the guts into the GENIE and run each tv's wires from the main box, wireless is too flaky

You mean like putting an RVU client in the TV so only a coax to the TV and a DECA is needed, like Samsumg and Somy do today?

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I guess we're just smarter :grin:

In reality, wireless can work fine in many environments. But wired will ALWAYS work reliably whereas wireless can sometimes not work reliably. Wired is much easier to maintain and troubleshoot. Wireless is much easier to install. So there is no "perfect" answer. I use all wired connections in my LAN, except for my tablet (which does not offer that option).

1 person likes this.
  9. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I agree that wireless is not the best of options, but it's good to have the option available when it would be I possible to pull a coax to a location.

10. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    No like running a central location from your HR34 or 44 that ANY tv can use , Not just the most expensive TVs from Sony and Samsung!

11. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    No it is totally useless in my house, completely unable to pull a wireless signal on the 3rd floor due to structural build out, brick and steel I-Beam construction. Besides why limit to the mediocre speed and lack of reliability of wireless

12. nuspieds

nuspieds Legend

Aug 9, 2008
    Of course! What do you expect from a site that where that large number of users have Satellite HD and 3D content? We will always prefer the best possible and most reliable connection.

13. tpm1999

tpm1999 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    For some reason I have no issues streaming HD to my Roku... But if you do the same with television/satellite it is the worst idea ever thought of... This is a silly place.

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    But in fairness, who's real fault is that?

DIRECTV, or the manufacturers like Sony and Samsung who only choose to incorporate RVU capability in their most expensive TV models?

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I personally am not necessarily doubting the viability of WiFi for steaming the satellite HD in many home environments, but am curious as to how well WiFi can handle the additional complexity of the simultaneous interactive UI for RVU that streaming devices like the Roku don't have to deal with.

16. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    My guess Directvs. Why would it be samsungs or sonys? My Guess Directv came up to Samsung and Sony to produce this feature in their sets.

17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Possibly true, but which sets? Any proof DIRECTV specified its only to be incorporated on their most expensive models?

Aren't the royalty payments to DIRECTV likely the same regardless of the model of the set which includes the RVU technology?

18. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Samsung and Sony may have no choice but to put them in the higher sets. You don't know what it cost for RVU. What if its $200 per set. That could make or break entry level tv sales. When your spending $2,000 on a tv , whats another $200.

RVU isn't in a $300 tv cause their would be no way they could make a profit.
    My point instead of making Samsung or Sony put RVU in for directv, Maybe Directv can make a Media box, that requires only a coax to the TV.
    Like HR Media, to say a Swm and right to the TV. Remotes can be used in RF. HD goes through Coax OTA so that shouldn't be an issue.

19. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I've used wireless for MRV very early in its life and it worked well. I've used a wireless CCK to connect a genie client very successfully.

If it doesn't work for you, I don't think that's Directv's fault. They're just offering options to hopefully accommodate everyone. Your option might be wired.

Just got a Sony TV with RVU. Don't need it because I have 2 HRs there. But it's another option.

Everybody thinks it's all about 'me' - themselves. There's a big population out there.

Oh and the Sony TV remote has a NETFLIX button. Guess what they paid for that!

20. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Who cares , Everything has a Netflix button