1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting observation regarding IR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by t_h, Nov 11, 2008.

1. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    I've often had problems with remote response time, menu speed and other generally odd performance issues with my HR's, but I noticed my downstairs one was often worse than the upstairs one.

This morning I was having a lot of trouble getting it to respond to the remote although it'd respond alright to the front panel buttons, but realllly slowly.

After poking it a bit I noticed our wireless keyboard/mouse, which uses IR to communicate with the base unit.

Hmmm.

I moved the keyboard into another room and closed the door. Remote on the HR works better. Brought the keyboard back, problem came back.

I tried out everything else we've got in the room that uses IR (dvd player, roku box, tower fan, etc) and everything seemed fairly happy with the wireless keyboard. But not the HR20-100.

While its unlikely that others (or anyone!) would have the same wireless keyboard, it seems that at least my model of the HR series is very sensitive to other (and persistent) IR sources while other consumer electronics that I have are not.

So if you have some remote with a stuck button, or some other IR source close to your HR and you're having problems, try shielding the IR port with some foil or making a 5 sided 'fort' over it and sticking your remote up into the open 6th side to see if that improves things.

Its not like this makes the 5-6 second response times go to 1 second, but it eliminated some instances where the HR didnt see a remote button push at all, ignored the remote for a period of time, or demonstrated other odd/unusual performance issues.

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    It is known that the HR2x receivers are sensitive to IR overload with their sensors. That's why many (that use the stock remote at least) try out RF with good success.

Personally I love the stock remotes and use RF on my receivers.

3. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    sigh... respect level now < 70% lol
    I hate those remotes.

4. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I dont see why so many dislike them, personally I find the layout easy to use and great for DVR functions as well as guide navigation. So much better than many other remotes that people swear by. I do not really like the harmony remotes as none have very good layouts for trickplay functions.

I do wish the Directv remote had learning, but besides that it works great and the layout fits my hand perfectly. Plus it is the only option for dedicated RF anyhow (RF IR blasters do not count...).

I think it is funny why so many people dislike the Directv remotes but then like those nasty cable box remotes and Dish remotes. Now those two I cannot stand at all! The Directv remote is simple and well laid out for "touch" control (not looking) and IMO that is a winner.

5. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    I'd tried RF and had pretty bad lag times with it on both receivers. When I switched it back to IR the response times got way better and without knowing I made the change, my wife said "wow, this remote is working better today". I was bummed about that because the RF remote feature was a big deal for me. Our downstairs tv has no place to put a box on top and theres no place to put one next to it. I had the tivo duct taped to the top, and thought having the HR on a shelf behind the tv would be perfect. Upstairs the shelf I can put the HR on was below line of sight from the beds, so we have to hold an arm up straight to use the remote. Yeah, lazy lazy lazy.

That having been said, I hate the remote layout. I often hit the record, active or stop buttons when trying to hit list or play. Way too many little buttons crammed all too close to each other.

6. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Hehe, you should try some of the Harmony remotes, those buttons are TINY on some of them and very close together.

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Typical IR interference and is quite common with many devices, not just DirecTV. You know those lamps that have dimmers on them? Some of them can mess up IR remotes as well. It's usually one of the first things I ask when people say they have remote issues with delays but a lot of people won't believe. Now you do. ;)

8. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Certain TVs are very bad as well. Plasmas are known for it and my projector has horrible IR interference with things.

9. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    Just to be clear, it didnt solve the delay issues...removing this IR source made some problems regarding the recognition of the directv remote and some keystrokes better. The response time is still pretty bad.

And none of my other IR controlled devices were having an issue. If they had, I'd have noticed the pattern and done a little troubleshooting sooner.

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    LCD screens are big IR emitters too.

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Just so you know, every IR device and remote is different. IR interference could effect one or more of the devices but not the others. So even if your other remotes are fine, doesn't mean there isn't an IR interference issue.

Good luck.