1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Offer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by pistolpete52, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Sep 3, 2010 #1 of 21
    pistolpete52

pistolpete52 AllStar

Sep 3, 2010
    I live in the Tampa Bay area, and I received an offer from the local cable company Brighthouse networks. They're offering a bundled package of TV, Phone, and Internet for $115. Not only that, they said that they will cover any termination fees from any other TV service up to $350.

I've had Brighthouse before and really hated it. But, that was before HD came into the picture. Right now, Brighthouse offers free HD, and they have close to 100 HD standard channels, which include many that have been brought up in this forum.

I really don't have a problem with DTV, but I sure would like to see more standard HD channels instead of HD pay per view, Premium movie channels, and regional sports channels. Something that everyone can get. HD is the only reason why I would change to Brighthouse.

My question is why isn't DTV adding more standard channels after sending up a new satellite? Will we be getting more? From what I've read on these forums, it doesn't look like we'll be get any soon.

2. Sep 3, 2010 #2 of 21
    Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    What HD channels can you get from that cable provider that you cannot get on DirecTV?
    How do the channel comparisons stack up for the money?
    How fast is the internet service they are including in the package?
    Did you know that with DTV, you can get free HD for 2 years just by switching to auto-pay?

3. Sep 3, 2010 #3 of 21
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    As a guy who pays separately for a land line phone, Internet and a TV provider, your bundled deal sounds great to me. I've been looking for something like that myself. I'd consider it.

That said, we are expecting new HD channels - and not premium ones - in the next four weeks or so. That is what our best source, a member inside of DirecTV, Satelliteracer, has said seems likely. In any case, do you think they'd go to all the expense of building and launching a new satellite and not use its capabilities? More HD channels isn't happening soon enough for most of us, but it's the way it goes. I am confident we will see a lot more HD channels before the snow flies here in the upper Midwest.

Good luck with your decision. :)

4. Sep 3, 2010 #4 of 21
    Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    As a follow-up, still expect more fairly soon, not Premiums but not necessarily base package either. I guess it all depends how you define Premiums.

For PistolPete, one question to always ask is what happens when the promo price goes away? A lot of new, cool things coming to DIRECTV in the next year (some will happen much sooner). Just a fyi.

5. Sep 3, 2010 #5 of 21
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I don't remember Satelliteracer ever stating the new channels wouldn't be premiums or RSNs. :confused:

~Alan

6. Sep 3, 2010 #6 of 21
    zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    I dont know what you prefer in a TV provider, but as someone who considers himself unfortunate to have Brighthouse let me tell you what you don't get and my personal experiences with their service.

1. You will not get the NFL Network
    2. You will endure contentious channel negotiations that come down to the wire/have extensions granted in order to continue negotiations. FOX was a knock down drag out around New Years Day where among other channels we almost lost our local affiliate and ABC just finally came to a deal yesterday to avert losing the ABC affiliate, Disney, and ESPN.
    3. Keep in mind in reference to #2, last year HD Net went bye-bye.
    4. They charge an extra $7-10 I think PER DVR you have in the house. Standard extra box fee is $6.99 I believe. And they charge you $1 for every outlet over 1 that has digital service.
    5. You may consider just having one digital box of some kind and having basic cable in every other room, just keep in mind they keep shoveling more and more channels people might want to watch into Digital cable...including their own in-house sports network.
    6. If you subscribe to any movie services, all of their are $14.95 each and they DO NOT apparently have a premium package. So it's your bill + $14.95 for every movie package service you want.
    7. Verizon's internet is a heck of a lot faster.

On a positive note, about the ABC negotiations. They did finally open their wallet for once. ESPN 3 is coming someday, and some channel similar to the NFL Red Zone Channel but for College Football and laster College Basketball is starting up tomorrow called ESPN Goal Line.

The only reason we have BH is because we live in a home in a subdivision where we pay for it through our HOA and I am unemployed. As soon as I find a job and we get some income we are probably punting everything Brighthouse related out of here.

But all of this is just my opinion.

7. Sep 3, 2010 #7 of 21
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Thanks for the heads up.

8. Sep 3, 2010 #8 of 21
    Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    I think it was stated they won't be Premiums in the sense of HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime. Sports Pack.

9. Sep 3, 2010 #9 of 21
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Prior to your post earlier in this thread, I don't remember you clarifying that though...

My earlier post was posted seven minutes after yours, but I actually started it prior to you posting the above, and if you have stated it previous to that post, I must have missed it.

~Alan

10. Cyberclaw77

Cyberclaw77 Cool Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Satelliteracer,

Thanks for the update. I really appreciate you keeping us in the loop.

Are the decision makers at Directv aware of the growing frustration over the lack of certain basic HD channels that the competitors now carry?

Many customers watched the launch of D12 expecting these channels (AMC HD, BBC HD, etc.) to follow shortly thereafter. For many who aren't big sports watchers, patience is growing thin... especially now that we see how awesome these channels look on our friends TVs. Are the decision makers aware of this?

Thanks in advance,
    Cyber

11. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    more for hd extra pack?

more RSN's?

More local HD?

local non OTA stuff for some areas?

more vod hd?

more Canada HD and ota HD on NHL center ice?

NBA LP MIX HD and NHL CI MIX HD?

some of that may fit the non basic and non hbo like stuff.

12. michaelruggeri

michaelruggeri Legend

Jan 30, 2010
    Satellite Racer's post certainly sounds like we are not going to get AMC and BBC soon, since he is talking about other things here. What do you think?

Mike

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Sounded to me like whatever channels are added will be in a top tier base package, or HD Extra.

14. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    The more we get in the HD Extra Pack the better. I am all for adding value to that package.

15. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    You might want to ask your neighbors how they like their service. Is it reliable? Look at the picture quality. Also, how important is reliability for your phone service? Cable VOIP is only as reliable as the TV service. If your cable is out, your phone is out too. That might not be so bad if you have a good cell phone signal as a backup.

16. michaelruggeri

michaelruggeri Legend

Jan 30, 2010
    Maybe we can ask Satellite Racer if he has ruled out BBC and AMC coming anytime soon by way of his last post.

Mike

17. AllenE

AllenE Godfather

Dec 19, 2006
    I think you just did. ;)

18. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Umm so they'll be HD Extra?

19. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Adding some channels to the HD Extra Pack is probably a good strategy. That might make it worth paying extra for it. Right now, I don't even bother adding it for the free, since I probably wouldn't watch any of the channels. And then I would have to remember to cancel it before I get billed in the 4th mo.

20. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    I added it free once, and then I got one of the DirecTV telemarketers calling me to give me 3 more months free. They are really trying to hook people in, but right now, other than HDNET movies, it just doesn't have much appeal to me.

I have zero problem with adding some national HD channels to the HD Extra Pack, especially given that many of those providers (if not all) are charging extra to DirecTV for those channels. If that's it what takes to get AMC HD on DirecTV, for example, I'm all for it. That's how Dish Network gets that channel on their lineup, so why not DirecTV? Even if the HD Extra Pack on Dish costs $10/mo.

Also, Satracer's comment could be interpreted as meaning that HD channels are coming to Choice Xtra and/or Choice Ultimate, but not regular Choice. Have no problem with that either.