1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermittent 771

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by p3pilot, Jul 19, 2012.

1. p3pilot

p3pilot Member

Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    Recently I have been getting intermittent 771 or 771A only on one outlet. I have not seen the issue on any of my 4 other receivers. It has been happening very rarely, but recently has increased in frequency. I thought it was possibly my HR24-200 with some type of hardware failure, but I had a spare H24-700 which I activated and placed on that same outlet that has shown the same issue.

I am sure if I call Customer Service, they will tell me to do a reset and at times this will fix it and I will get no where. If it is an LNB or SWiM issue would it just impact this one outlet? I have checked the cables for tightness and such and found no issues. Will go up in the attic and check the connection on the 8-way splitter and cycle power on the SWiM, but other than that I can't think of what else to do. Of course this seems to happen at the worst times.

Any ideas?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The coax from the splitter to the location would seem to be the problem.
    After spending some time with the AIM meter, it would be the best way to check what the signal is to this location.

Without having one, I might try looking at the SAT levels, but more importantly the SWM screen there. You've got a lot of tuners, so this location may be using the higher SWiM channel.
    Signal levels [RF power] are one thing, but more importantly are the SNR/CNR, which are hard to read/know without the meter.

Re-running the SAT setup might give you some idea if it shows X for any SAT.

Another "trick" might be to pull the power on all the receivers, and then power up this location first. This should cause it to use the lower SWiM channel. Then move to the other receivers and power them up one at a time. This isn't "a fix" but a kludge to see if it's related to which frequency being used on this coax.

3. p3pilot

p3pilot Member

Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    Thanks for all the items to try. Since I don't have access to an AIM meter, I re-ran the Satellite Dish Setup with the H24-700 that is hooked up now and I get "Errors found on Tuner 1"

[TABLE]Satellite 99 101 103
    Odd (13V) X check X
    Even (18V) check check check[/TABLE]

Does this confirm the cable or something else? Even if I have the protection plan since this is most likely internal wiring, I am responsible correct? Maybe first try putting new connectors on each end of the coax?

4. p3pilot

p3pilot Member

Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    Signal strengths all look good (Upper 80's and 90's) except a couple on 99s.

SWM Channels (9 total at SWM)
    For SWM installs only
    1-8 100 0 0 100 98 0 0 0
    9-16 0 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So at least you've got something that reflects the problem.
    Being on a SWiM means it isn't a voltage problem, but is common to the odd TPs from both 99 & 103.
    To load up your database [so you're fully loaded when you need to call], I'd run this same test with another receiver at this location and take this receiver to another location and run the test there.
    What you want to know is:
    Is it the receiver causing it, or the location.
    If you find it is the location, then since you have the protection plan, I'd call in and get a tech out. If he doesn't have an AIM, I'd ask why and how can he run the IV test. The IV test will report if it's low power or low SNR.
    If the meter passes the IV test at the location, then it's the receiver(s).

6. p3pilot

p3pilot Member

Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    Now it gets a little bit weird. I hooked up the HR24-200 in the original location and when I rerun the satellite dish setup, I get the same error on both tuners. Odd TP's from 99 and 103 both fail. So this would seem location, but when I move the H24-700 to another location it stops at step 2 of 2 with a 771A error problem communicating with satellite. So now that sounds like a receiver. But than I re-ran satellite setup on the H25-500 which was already booted and working fine in that location and it gives the same error about odd TP's on 99 and 103. What would be causing that failure in multiple locations? LNB?

So how can I get through to some one at DirecTV that is going to be able to understand all of this?

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    What you do is shift your thinking from your first post where it was one location, to:
    You're having intermittent problems at more than one location, and you've swapped receivers, which hasn't changed it, and you want a service call for the tech to look at your dish.

8. p3pilot

p3pilot Member

Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    Thanks for all the help. I have a service call coming out Sunday morning although the CSR told me that for my area the error on the satellite setup was normal due to those satellites not being used.

Hopefully will get a good tech who can read out the lines.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Hopefully" the tech isn't as clueless as that CSR was. 99 & 103 are where all the HD channels are and used for the CONUS beams.

A good sign would be if he brings an AIM with him. Even if he's not "the smartest", the meter's IV test can make up for it.

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I had intermittent 771/771A issues a while back and it was a bad LNB. I was having it show up on all receivers at the same time though, so I'm not sure if your's would be the same thing or not.

VOS has given some good advice though, so I'd listen to him. Only thing I would say on top is to make sure all of your coa connections are tight, and that the compression fittings still seem to be in good shape. Also if you have connections outdoors check them for water in the connection, of course if it's as dry down there as it has been here I doubt that is the issue.

11. p3pilot

p3pilot Member

Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    I attempted to explain that to her, but she was having none of it. I think she was confused with what I was seeing on the satellite setup page vice satellite strength page where some spots are zero. Since she was going to go ahead and schedule the service call, I stopped trying to explain it to her before I said something I would feel bad about later.

12. p3pilot

p3pilot Member

Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    Just to close the loop the technician came today and replaced the LNB along with the 8-way splitter. All receivers now complete the satellite setup without the error on the odd transponders for 99 and 103. He did note that the old LNB was not compatible with whole home networking. Not sure if this would have been a contributor or not. He suspected is was just old and beat up from the heat here in Texas. Last summer was brutal and this one is starting to head that way now.

He also did have an AIM although it locked up once while he was aligning the dish.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    My money is on the LNB being the problem.