1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermittent Caller ID Problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cg1200, May 21, 2009.

1. cg1200

cg1200 Mentor

Aug 29, 2007
    I have an HR20/100 running 0x2f4. I've noticed over the last month or so the caller ID has become very flakey. I cleared out the entire log rebooted a couple of times too for good measure. It will work for a little while right after a reboot but a few hours later it stops again. Sometimes it just shows the number as unavailable even though my other phones show a name and number. But most times it just does nothing. No entry in the log and no notification. I've tested the line with a normal phone and another receiver and it works fine. Pretty annoying. Anyone else having this problem? Is it related to the upgrade last month?

2. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    Mine hasn't worked for at least the last 3 weeks I have done all the things that you have as well

3. cg1200

cg1200 Mentor

Aug 29, 2007
    I'm glad I'm not alone. I really don't want another receiver. I"ve got a years worth of shows for the kids on the hard drive. I'm hoping it's a bug introduced in the last upgrade that they will fix.

4. LORETTA

LORETTA Cool Member

Sep 16, 2007
    I, too, have this problem, one of the messages that I get, tells me to contact my phone company to sign up for "Caller ID". It's very annoying to say the least.

5. DiSH Defector

DiSH Defector Legend

May 4, 2008

This is currently a known issue with H-model receivers, software-related.

6. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    Had the same thing w/ my HR, I just stop getting the Caller ID and when I run a system test it tells me there is a problem w/the phone line, but the line checks out OK. The only thing that gets it working again is a RBR(reset).:confused:

7. rpiotro

rpiotro Mentor

Apr 29, 2008
    There is a known issue regarding proper grounding of the feeds from the dish.

It worked for me!

8. JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy Legend

Sep 1, 2006
    I have a friend in Oregon who has 4 HRs. Until the latest national release his Caller ID did not work at all. Now it works for every incoming call. So whatever they did fix it for his environment and from the posts in this thread it sounds like they broke it for others.

9. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    My called ID has always worked on my two HR20-700's from day one, most of the time :)

It never seems to get any better or any worse, I have always figured that is just the way it is.

10. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I haven't had CID enabled on my HR20-100 since about the third week after I installed it. My cordless phone has it on the handset, so that's all I need.

11. cg1200

cg1200 Mentor

Aug 29, 2007
    Why would it work for over a year and all of sudden stop because of a grounding issue? Plus i'm pretty sure my dish is grounded well. Could it become un-grounded?

12. ziggy29

ziggy29 Icon

Nov 18, 2004
    San Antonio DMA
    Is it? I had this problem for months on a consistent basis, and then after a software update, the problem went away for good (knock on wood). I changed nothing about the grounding.

13. rpiotro

rpiotro Mentor

Apr 29, 2008
    There are many reasons it won't work. Software is just one. Improper grounding is another. Bad phone wiring or improper or incomplete use of DSL filters can cause these problems also.

I was just suggesting something to try when all else fails. It is indeed what worked for me. It has been rock solid since. I got that information from the support forum at directv.com. I didn't just pull it out of my a**.

14. tomkarl

tomkarl Legend

Jan 6, 2009
    I have very mixed results with it. I don't believe it is grounding as it works about half to 3/4 of the time. I would think that if it was improper grounding, it would not work all the time.

As long as I've had the receivers that offer it, it has never really worked.

One last thing to look at, is that (as I learned here) the log only holds 25 numbers and if you don't delete the items from the log, it stops showing new calls.

Seems like both clearing the log automatically and getting this to work better would be a no brainer - but that doesn't appear to be the case or maybe it's just not a priority.

15. cg1200

cg1200 Mentor

Aug 29, 2007
    I've basically given up on it. It has not worked in over a month. All my other receivers (no other DVR's) with phone jacks work fine. If it were a grounding issue wouldn't it affect all my receivers not just the DVR? I don't get it. Not a huge deal but annoying. Wish it still worked. Maybe an upcoming software release will address it.

16. rpiotro

rpiotro Mentor

Apr 29, 2008
    Maybe. Maybe not. My HR20 has always worked just fine. When I got my HR22 it was hit and miss. That problem went away when I addressed the grounding issue.

Whether I am right or wrong, your system still should be properly grounded. Why not check it? It is usually pretty easy and cheap to correct.

17. cg1200

cg1200 Mentor

Aug 29, 2007
    How can i check? I'm willing to take a look at it. I know the multiswitch is grounded but can't recall if the dish itself is.

18. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    For the caller ID setup- It can be trickie- If you have "notices" turned on you will not get a caller id screen.

I think that is why after a national release it will stop working because this field gets changed in the software (not by the user).

Turn Notices OFF and then proceed to the bottom of all the Callerid messages to turn the Caller ID feature on.

19. CATCRAW

CATCRAW Legend

Mar 27, 2008
    My Caller ID worked fine until I put the DSL filter on the line and now it shows Incoming Call and the number every so often. Does not work all the time and does not show the name and number that comes through on the phone.

20. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Check your DSL filter, it may be marginal or installed incorrectly.