1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Internal and External Drive Interaction on Genie HR-44

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DeweySat, Jul 20, 2014.

1. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    I solved my intermittent black screen on fast forward problem by installing an external SATA drive. Now I am wondering what happens if the internal drive goes out completely. Doesn't the Genie use something on the internal drive even though you have an external drive operating? I have read that you can't just take out the internal drive. It has to stay even though it isn't the primary drive. Is that correct?

2. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Yes, the internal has to stay, but not necessarily because it is being used for something. It is being "detected" by the software as present, even if there is an external. So the internal can be in pretty bad shape and still let an external work. Whether it can be completely shot, I don't know. I've used externals on all my dvrs for quite a few years and currently have 2 TB drives on both my HR44-700 and HR24-200.

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    It's been so long since I had mine open but I want to say I don't have an internal drive in my HR44. If I think about it I'll check when I get a chance.

I do remember however that older HR2X models did require the internal to be there. Something about the temp sensor. (Man, I'm getting old)

4. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    Do you remember how you got around the apparent requirement for the HR-44 to "sense" an internal drive?

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    That's my point, I don't think there is one.

6. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    But if you possibly don't have an internal drive in your Genie???

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I'm pretty sure I don't and did nothing to get around any sensing of an internal drive, again my point...

8. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Wait how does that Genie not have a internal drive and still works? I know it can be replaced with external for video
    But don't other things inside the receiver factor in the use of a internal drive, or does the power supply do the rest of the work internally or externally?

9. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    What is the best strategy on a new install of an HR-44 in terms of installing a new external sATA drive? I have read the largest external I can use is 2T? Should I just install it as soon as the installer leaves, before making any recordings at all?

10. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    Just be aware that you will lose all recordings and anything you have added to the Series Manager. So the sooner you do it, the less work it will be. Of course they will still be on the internal drive, but it means a restart of the receiver to access them.

11. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    The largest external you can use on an HR-44 is 4T. Up to 2T you can just attach the external drive and the HR44 will format it and it will then be used. If you are installing a disk that is greater than 2T, you will need to format it on your PC before you attach it the the HR44.

12. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Nobody has yet determined that their is actually a size limit for the HR44. I believe that someone (RunnerFL?) has tested a RAID array of somewhere around 10TB with no issues.

Regarding the need to format drives larger than 2TB, that is not true of all HR44 sub-models. Some require that the drive at least be initialized (format not actually required) by a PC or Mac. Others don't require anything to be done before connecting the drive. As long as you have an eSata connection on your computer or a USB connection on your enclosure, it makes sense to connect the drive and initialize it prior to connecting to an HR44.

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Incorrect, there is no size limit on an HR44 or HR34. I've tested up to 12TB successfully.

14. unixguru

unixguru Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    The software is in flash. When an external is connected it doesn't use the internal for storage.

15. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I am not convinced you need the internal. I am convinced it is better to leave the internal alone, regardless of whether you add an X drive or not.

The reason I say this is I ran a HR20 for about 15 months, and then got a overtemp error that could not be resolved. I disconnected the X drive to go to the internal, and that did not work.

When I popped the hood I discovered that I had disabled the internal by removing the SATA cable and power, apparently just after receiving it 15 months ago, and hooked up the X only at that time.

So I hooked up the internal, but that did not immediately fix anything. It did a drive scan on its own and found some 3580 errors (on the drive I never even used). It fixed these errors in probably about 36 hours, and then was OK. I hooked the X back up and it has been working ever since, which was a couple months ago.

So, much of that is somewhat unexplainable, but the fact remains I ran with the X connected and the internal disconnected, for a considerably long time.

My understanding is that there is a hybrid OS, some things are in flash and some are on the HDD, which is why you can essentially stuff a blank formatted drive in and be good to go. It seems there is a fixed BIOS-like startup order, meaning it looks for a drive externally and mounts that if available, and if not it moves to the internal. But it will not mount both drives, which is unfortunate.

16. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    OK, sounds like if I format the drive on my PC (any details on what to do or not do in the format?) I can attach, say, a 4T external to my Genie when I get it. One other question: is the speed of operations that access the drive noticeably slower when using the external vs. internal on the Genie? I know it is a completely different setup/functionality but on my Dish DVRs the external USB drive is much slower in terms of viewing the list, deleting, etc. than the built in drives.

17. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    I don't notice any difference in speed between the external and internal drives. Of course I am using a WD My Book AV which was specifically designed for use with DVR's.

18. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    You don't even have the format it, just let the PC initialize it. No, no speed difference at all.

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I used an external on an owned HR that I just didn't feel like taking apart that had a bad 1.5 Seagate Barracuda in it. At the time, I wondered if the external would work, but it did. Using just the internal drive, I couldn't get it to boot up. I left that external on that HR for a couple years without any problems. Don't know if you can still do that, tho.

Rich

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    First, they didn't need the internal drive, then something changed after an NR and I had to put an internal drive back in a couple of my HRs to get them to work. I have no idea what or why anything changed, but it sure did.

Rich