1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Internal and External Together...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DVRaholic, Jul 20, 2007.

Do you NEED the Internal & External Drives to work Together ???

1. YES I NEED & Want both together for The Extra Recording Space

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. External hard Drive is enough for me

78.0%
  3. Extra space would be nice, But not that important to me

4.4%
  4. 300GB space is more then enough

17.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVRaholic

DVRaholic Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    Earl, will Directv ever make the External & Internal hard drive work together ??
    I have a external 750GB running and with all the HD I have recorded I have only 25% space left

With the addition of all the New HD channels coming in September I would love for my External 750GB and Internal 300Gb to work together to give me over 1TB of storage space.

It cant be that hard to do, Scientific Alantica's 8300HD receiver does this with no problems (I had it with Cablevision) I had a 500GB external PLUS the 160GB internal working together to give me 660GB.

Hopefully this is on Directv's short List.
    I would Gladly test it in a CE :)

Anyone else feels this way voice your opinion here...
    maybe Directv will take notice and activate the feature.
    Hopefully sooner then later !!!!!
    :bowdown: :heart:

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Eventually they are planning additional and extended support for the eSATA drive... but it is like at the lower portions of priorities of future enhancements.

3. DVRaholic

DVRaholic Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
  4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Competition is a marvelous thing. :)

5. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I have heard about it... couple of things though:

It will cost you a one time $40 on top of the cost of the hard drive to be able to use this feature....

(I stopped reading the thread after page 6 of the "back and forth", so I don't know if this is 100% still true or not).
    IIRC from the CES announcement about the feature...
    It is more of an archival type attachment.

Where content will have to record to the internal drive, and then you have to move it to the external drive... I don't know if it can playback from the external directly, or if it has to be moved back.

So it is kinda like a D:\ to the system, instead of making the C:\ bigger, and seemless.

While I do think they need to do some enhancing to the eSATA solution (as it does "stink") that you know there is a 300gb drive in there just not doing anything...

I don't see them radically changing their external solution.

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    The Dishnetwork USB drives will play from directly from the USB. But funny thing, sounds like trickplay "sucks" from the USB drives, especially on HD...

Just being able to migrate or archive recordings from one unit to another within my account is a very important thing--at least until HD recording is resolved and economical. As drives become larger and I have more favorite recordings, I hate to lose them every two years as I replace units from failure or new and improved.

Cheers,
    Tom

7. St Louis Cardinals Fan

St Louis Cardinals Fan Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    It world be nice to have a folder or tab option to toggle back and forth from the external / Internal drive.
    Right now you have a tab for the showcase just add another tab for the external drive. Or you could assign one of the color keys to the external drive.

AHH it's good to wish (dream) :grin:

8. DVRaholic

DVRaholic Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    All I want is the Option on 1TB TOTAL Recording space
    Like you said it just kills me that there is a 300GB hard drive inside just going to waste. :mad:

9. generalpatton78

generalpatton78 Godfather

Dec 17, 2003
    Just to clarify does the Hr20 have a 300gb-100gb or 400gb-100gb?

10. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    So true. Dish customers are actualy thanking DIRECTV customers for the new HD channels Dish is roling out. :p

If this move by EchoStar/Dish spurs DIRECTV to expand eSATA options, we all win.

I don't know how you do it! I barely have time to catch-up and stay on top of things here! :eek2:

11. DVRaholic

DVRaholic Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    HR20-700 = 300GB internal
    HR20-100 = 320GB internal

12. generalpatton78

generalpatton78 Godfather

Dec 17, 2003
    Thanks for the info. So my 500gb coming monday will basically double my space. It be nice if it added all 500gb to the set up but it's certainly better then not having the option. However I can see the day when we can use both drives and everybody is going to be screaming about how they are going to loose their archived material :hurah: .

13. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    I think that this will be an important feature. I would buy the external drive now if it were really supported as an added drive.

- Craig

14. DBordello

DBordello Legend

Dec 16, 2006
    To be honest, it would be nice, but I am not sure it is worthy the effort and complications. Creating the additional logic manage two drives is no easy task.

As time goes on and drives become larger the 300gb "sitting around" is going to become less and less significant. Currently hard drives can run as low as $0.25/gb (750gb for $200). That makes the 300gb internal worth only about $75. If you are that worried about it go buy another hard drive and throw it in your enclosure.

Now, I here that there may be an extra 4MB of flash left unused in there, I hope that they start making that available for recording soon.

15. Racer88

Racer88 Icon

Sep 12, 2006
    It's doing something.....

Creating unneeded heat while it sits in there spinning uselessly wearing itself out.

16. falken

falken Legend

Jun 14, 2007

Exactly. At least throw some code in there to tell the drive to spin down if an external drive is attached. There is no need for the extra heat generation, energy, etc. if it is not being used.

17. waynenm

waynenm I like this stuff.

Oct 30, 2006
    Seems like this option would certainly make a bunch of people happy, including me (as I voted). Just hooked up the 750gb eSata this morning. So, worst case, when the time comes, guess I'll just get a bigger eSata.

18. jonaswan2

jonaswan2 Icon

Oct 29, 2005
    Does the HR20 actually know if it has an external drive connected to it? Does it actually care? I don't think it does.

19. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    It does know because it decides to use the external drive instead of the internal. But everything works the same with just more hard drive space.

20. waynenm

waynenm I like this stuff.

Oct 30, 2006
    Some simple drive options would sure be a good thing. Like "turn off internal drive".
    How nice it would be to get the internal temp down to say, 85...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.