1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internal Destacker & Undestack

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by chippimp, Feb 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chippimp

chippimp New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Here is what I'm seeing.

I have a round dish with dual LNB, 1 Direct TV Plus DVR and 2 other receivers.

I have one cable coming into my living room where my DVR is, When I set the DVR to unstack and place a 2.0+ Gig splitter, i can get all my channels, but when I record a show and change the channel it says searching for satellite signal on satelilite in 2 (771) Sometimes the shows don't show up. It's very strange depending on what I'm recording. For example If I record a show on HBO and then turn it to NOG 298, i get the channel but with the banner. If I record Channel 298 and change the channel to 299 i dont get that channel. This doesn't happen on all the channels. To me this tells me i have a stacked signal but the splitter wil not work

Also when I set the DVR to stack and hook up my two destackers to each tuner, I can't get anything. When I look at the satellite signals it goes from 90 to 0 then back to 0 to 90 all the time all the time, so its like its not getting a steady signals.

Can you please let me what I neeed or what I should do, at this point picking up my DVR and smashing it sounds like a good idea.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    You don't have a stacked signal.

Usually stacked signals are found in MDU's (apartment, condo) complexes.
    Else, you would have to install a STACKING unit in between your dish and your box.

What a stacker does, it takes part of the SAT signal, and shifts it's frequency to a different part of the spectrum. Thus two parts of the signal can go over a wire.

The destacker then splits it back to it's normal frequency range.

You can't use a regular splitter to create two signals either.
    You need to run a 2nd line either from your dish or a multiswitch.

This is why you are getting the 771 error message... and why it works sometimes and not others.

See this post for detailed explanation of what is going on.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=534672&postcount=9

Note: This is not an exclusive thing to the R15. This is true for ALL DirecTV recievers.

3. chippimp

chippimp New Member

Feb 21, 2006

Thanks, so there is no way the DVR will work right without me running a second line?

4. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    It will work fine with just a single line running to it, but you would lose the ability to record two things at once.

Other than that.... No, you would need that second line.
    (Unless you want to spend around $200 for a stacker unit, which is not recommended as you limit what your box will be able to see.)

5. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Why doesstacking the signal limit what you can see? I am asking this because in my new house I have no way to get a second line to my room because of the ceilings right now. So I was considering going the stacker/dstacker route.

6. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Current Stacking technology that is consumer available, is only for the 101 SAT.

You would see what is on the 110 and the 119. (which isn't much... but there is still content there)

7. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Would be better if I could just find someone to run a line for me. The DirecTV people didn't seem to think it was going to be easy at all because of all the cathedral ceilings in my house.

8. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    There is always a way.......

Cathedral ceilings are no fun...

But there is usually a 1/2" gap between drywall and floor, behind the base board?

9. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Wood flooring with really nice baseboards all in place and painted. :(

10. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Hmmm....

11. mexican-bum

mexican-bum "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

Feb 25, 2006
    Or you can get a dishnetwork Dishpro lnb(like the one's used for 61.5 or 148), which is already stacked, fairly cheap on ebay

12. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    You can use a Dishnetwork LNB with DirecTV?

13. sattec

sattec Godfather

May 28, 2004
    you can buy everything you need to stack 3,4 or 5 DTV birds right here.

nasproducts.com
    all signals on one wire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.