1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internal drive available after removing eSata?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dervari, Jul 29, 2010.

1. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    If I install an eStata on my HR20-700, I know it disabled the internal drive. Seems to me they could just set the internal drive to be RO.

Anyway, if I remove the eStata drive, will the original recordings still be on the original drive? And if I reconnect it, will the recordings on the eStata still be there as they were before I removed it?

Thanks.

2. oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    Baring the unforeseen, if you boot up with an eSATA attached and powered on, the DirecTV system will run off the eSATA. I believe that if you unplug the HD-DVR and power off the eSATA, then power the HD-DVR back on and the system would boot up and run off the internal drive. Whatever was on the eSATA or the internal drive should still be there such as favorites, todo and recordings. Unplug the HD-DVR, turn on the eSATA, boot up and you should be back on the eSATA. The HDMI cable can be delicate so I would not plug and unplug it too much.
    Good Luck!!

3. Mark_M

Mark_M AllStar

Oct 31, 2006
    During my recent Whole Home DVR upgrade I removed my external drive from my HR20-700 so it wouldn’t be in the installers way or get knocked around. All of the recordings were still in place on the internal unit. The only thing that I noticed is that the guide data was not up to date and had to rebuild itself, so it looks like the guide data is stored on the active drive. After the install I shut down the unit and put the external drive back in place and all of its recordings were still in place.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That should be how they work. No recordings should be lost on either the internal or the external. Reformatting is an anomaly. Might happen, but I've never seen one do it.

Rich

5. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    Thanks, all. I just received a Toshiba 1TB drive for free through a bonus program at work. I was going to use it for a file server but found out it had an eSata connection!! Also found that the drive does work with the HR20, so I figured what the heck. :)