1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

internal smart card? Help

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by marscandybars, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marscandybars

marscandybars New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Hello, I was wondering (and i know that the 942 has an internal smartcard) but can I use my standard dishnetwork card with this receiver? I see that it has a slot for a card, but will my standard card work if I place it inside?

Also, how does the internal smartcard update itself? via phoneline?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    No, a smartcard is married to a specific receiver.

I believe some of it updates via satellite and some of it updates via phoneline. Although the receiver will function correctly with no phoneline connected so I'm guessing the critical update is via satellite.

3. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    Updates are received via satellite signal.

There is no reason to use another smart card. It is built in and you would never need to do this. Why do you ask?

4. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    No, not possible. Closing thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.