1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

International Channel Request

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by azjimbo, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1 of 18
    azjimbo

azjimbo Mentor

Jun 4, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just thought I'd add my request for additional channels for the DIRT folks to input into the black hole these seem to go to.

I'd really like to see the Korean Channels SBS and MBC added to the existing Korean "Tiger Pack" or as an upgraded package. Yes, I'd be willing to pay more.

D* currently has those channels, but they don't have KBS which is a deal breaker for my family. I've told them though that if they would get KBS, I'd be there.

It is possible, to have all three of the channels, as I see that Time Warner has a Korean Language package with them (and a couple of other channels), for $24.95 that would be perfect (If I lived somewhere I could get Time Warner that is).

You can take away Arirang and WOW-TV as part of the deal, I wouldn't mind. Just make sure you kept one of the Christian Broadcasting channels.

2. Aug 9, 2011 #2 of 18
    RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    I went ahead and sumbmitted a request for those channels on your behalf. We do apreaciate the feeback!

3. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Hudson, FL
    I would like to see the major Canadian networks: CBC, CTV, and Global.

4. RaymondG@DISH Network

Jul 21, 2011
    I went ahead and submitted a request for those channels also, thanks for the feedback!

5. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Is it legal for Dish or Direct to carry Canadian channels? I am thinking Canadian channels can be show on local cable carriers that border, but not national carriers. Maybe that has changed?

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    National channels would have clearance issues (programming that is licensed to US broadcasters). It is legal to carry locals across borders (DISH does this with Mexican channels such as XETV and XHAS Tijuana in the San Diego market). But in those cases the station is carrying network programming that is not otherwise available in the market in question. The major Canadian networks have more overlap with the major US networks.

The same problem exists for UK TV. Getting BBC and ITV channels would be good ... but too much of the programming is licensed to US broadcasters.

7. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I do know about the Mexican channels, I was thinking Canada has a prohibition on carrying Canadian channels nationally outside Canada, separate from televised rights issues....

8. epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    My wife would be in favor of the additional Korean channels!

While we're submitting "wish" lists:

It "would" be nice if Multi Sports Pack subscribers could select a couple of out-of-market RSNs for an additional fee per RSN per month.

I was thinking of something like this:

MSP - $7.00 per month
    My zip code = 30043 which means I get FSN South and SportsSouth.

Additional RSN 1 - STO (SportsTime Ohio) - 6.99 (?) per month additional
    Additional RSN 2 - NESN (New England Sports Network) - 6.99 (?) per month additional

The additional fee would "open" the blacked out (pro) games. The out-of-market RSNs are already in the clear 24/7 (mostly) with the MSP "EXCEPT" for the pro games.

The sports leagues would probably not be interested. Too bad.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Outside of the RSN's designated area, the rights to the programming you desire is not owned by the RSN. One legally cannot sell what one does not own.

It would be up to the leagues who own the rights to the content to offer permission to view that content - not the local RSNs.

10. BodyshotsByDan

BodyshotsByDan Cool Member

May 28, 2011
    I would LOVE Sky (Oh, and the real BBC channels, BBCAm is ok but some stuff is years late). Know it won't ever happen unless a Lot of stuff changes, but maybe Sky and BBCs will start streaming to the US (BBC is already looking at that with their Android/iPad app)

11. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I would like it if Dish could get CNNI. It's so much better than CNN. Please!

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Please request CNNI.

Thanks!

13. RaymondG@DISH Network

Jul 21, 2011
    I did submit a request for CNNI on your behalf. If you have any other requests please let me know!

14. quizzer

quizzer Icon

Aug 29, 2006
    +1 for CNNI

15. RaymondG@DISH Network

Jul 21, 2011
    I added another request for CNNI for you also

16. augie

augie Cool Member

Nov 27, 2007
    St. John, USVI
    I'd love, love, love, LOVE to have GolTV again on DISH!

Don't know what the odds are, but if you could register my request I'd appreciate it!

17. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Well in Canada U.S. channels are routinely carried. and not just in the "border towns". If a program is carried on a Canadian network the carrier has to do a "sim sub" which is the insertion of the Canadian network's version of the same program.

As someone who has grown up watching occasional Canadian channels when the skip was up (or via cable in the mid 80's) all you need here is CBC. Global, CH, CITY, etc. are all, for the most part, rebroadcasting U.S. programming, while CBC is mostly unique Canadian fare. In fact the only thing I have seen on CBC that may have to be blocked down here are "Wheel & Jeopardy".

Put my vote in for the CBC please!

CBC should put together a "CBC U.S." channel similar to the BBC America channel. The few time slots where CBC has U.S. productions, they can substitute the few non-U.S. programs from the rest of the Canadian networks. I bet everything that is unique to Canadian TV would fit nicely on one channel.

18. RaymondG@DISH Network

Jul 21, 2011
    No problem. +1 for GoLTV