1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet connection for Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Ryn, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Ryn

Ryn New Member

Jul 27, 2013
    US
    I just got a Genie that has the CINEMA Connection kit already built in. When I try to connect it to the Internet it says I don't have a dial tone. I have a land line with a different provider and I am sure that's the problem but I was wondering if I HAVE to have one with Direct TV. Can i hook it up to the internet with an Ethernet cable or do I have to have the land line and does it have to be with Direct TV?

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Just the Ethernet cable connected directly to your router or home LAN is enough.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ryn

Ryn New Member

Jul 27, 2013
    US
    Thanks Drew,
    So just the Ethernet cable connected to the wireless router and then to the genie?

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, that'd do it. Just make sure you're using the ethernet jack and not the phone jack on the Genie!

5. Ryn

Ryn New Member

Jul 27, 2013
    US
    Alright, I'll try that, thank you :) I'll keep you updated.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, that'd do it. Just make sure you're using the ethernet jack and not the phone jack on the Genie!

If you make this mistake you will be the first one! I see it happening the other way around tho.......