1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Connection Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by sammy720, Jun 17, 2010.

1. sammy720

sammy720 Mentor

Jun 16, 2010
    So I have quite a few questions but here it goes,

1. How fast does your internet have to be to enjoy things like On Demand and DIREC2PC? We live in an area outside of major development and the only options for TV are Dish and DirecTV, and the only options for high speed internet are an EVDO card (from Sprint/Verizon) and a Wireless ISP (we are currently using EVDO from Verizon.) Now, I know the Verizon card won't work since it doesn't stay constantly connected, but would the WISP work well enough for these? The fastest tier that we can afford is 1 mbps down/200 kbps up. Will that be enough? If it is, that would be a great reason to want to switch to the WISP, as we don't currently have enough to push us into signing a contract with them.

2. Will MediaShare work with iTunes? Is there any way to make it work with cross platforms (PC/Mac) since we have both in the house? Will it work with multiple computers at the same time? If we are to attempt to make MediaShare work, this is an absolute must, since all our music is in iTunes. Some of it is protected/downloaded from iTunes, some is not protected/downloaded from iTunes, and some is ripped from CDs. Could we make it work?

3. Will connecting something to the ethernet port on the HR 24 disable the internal DECA unit? I have heard it does from a few sources but am not sure. If it does, and there is not a work around, then we absolutely cannot connect to the internet as we absolutely MUST have Multiple Room Viewing at my house. If it does, and there is a work around for it, then that is fine.

Thank you all in advance

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    1. Internet is not used for DIREC2PC, only your network. For On Demand, the faster the better, but a slow(er) connection will just lengthen the download time, it will still work.

2. No idea, don't own Apple anything.

3. Yes. If you have (or are getting) DECA and Whole Home, just have a DECA adapter installed at your router which will bridge the DECA network to your local network and the internet.

3. Phasers

Phasers Cool Member

Jul 2, 2009
    The best bet is to use a broadband DECA to bridge/ connect your entire deca network (cloud) to the internet. This way all recievers use DECA and have internet access/network access.

4. sammy720

sammy720 Mentor

Jun 16, 2010
    What if we don't have an extra DECA? Would DirecTV provide it and how much would it cost? (if anything) Also, is there a difference between a broadband DECA and a normal DECA that connects to the back of HR/H 20-23s for MRV? If so, what is the difference?

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It will work with multiple servers (PC/Mac/Linux). Protected music won't play.

If an internet connection is on the order it will be provided (DECA plus power supply). You can purchase them from Solid Signal, however. The "broadband" DECA is a model in a different form factor (looks a bit like a router) but it is not yet available. The normal DECA works fine.

6. sammy720

sammy720 Mentor

Jun 16, 2010
    What would I connect the DECA to? Obviously, I would connect the ethernet port to the internet, but what would I connect the other side that you would normally connect the satellite in to?
    Also, as a general idea, how long would it take to "download" a VOD movie on a 1 mbps connection? Would it even be worth using?

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    On the DECA adapter, there are three connections; an ethernet, a female coax, and a male coax dongle. To connect the DECA adapter for internet, the ethernet connetcs to your internet source (a router or switch), the female coax is connected back to a SWM splitter, and the male coax is connected to a power inserter.

8. sammy720

sammy720 Mentor

Jun 16, 2010
    Ok, good to know. Could we connect a DECA for internet to an SWM-8 system if we had 4 HD DVRs active? (8 tuners) The reason I ask is that we might be keeping our HR 21s, we might not be, still have yet to take that one up with DirecTV. But, it's definitely a possibility. Or is the DECA even considered an additional "tuner" at all?

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The DECAs don't act or count as SWiM tuners.

10. sammy720

sammy720 Mentor

Jun 16, 2010
    GREAT info to have, thanks VOS! :)

11. 99coop

99coop New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Just got MRV installed today. You don't really need to worry about figuring out what connects to what, the installer will do that for you. Not sure what the components are called exactly, but he ended up installing a device near my router that connects to my home network, and to a coax cable going to a switch. The HR24 and H24 have a DECA built in, so they're only connected to coax, no ethernet needed anymore. The HR22 now has a device (external DECA?) that connects to the coax from the dish, and to the sat 1 in and ethernet port on the HR22.

I have lots of spare coax left over...

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Trust me, you want to have it figured out before hand. The limited training that the installers received on the Whole Home stuff means that a bunch of installs have been "challenging", to say the least. Many have had to walk their installers through setting it up.

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That device is a DECA.

- Merg

14. sammy720

sammy720 Mentor

Jun 16, 2010
    Our original install had 2 DECAs for 2 HR 21s. The installer had no trouble hooking up the original two. In the future, when/if we get DSL/Cable/WISP we will just buy another DECA and power supply off eBay, hook the ethernet into our router, then add it to our switch. That should work for giving all the receivers internet as far as I know. D* says that you have to have it installed through them if you have MRV, but they don't have to authenticate anything (correct me if I am wrong) so the receivers should connect to the internet and all will be fine. I just don't want to pay D* $50 to do a job that simple.

15. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire

+1 on this one. It took me a while to understand how everything would get hooked up, but DBS is a great place to learn!!! (Thanks All)

I had the installer walk me through everything he planned on doing to see if it's what I "thought" he should be doing. Much to my satisfaction, it was!!!

It sure was nice know in advance what to expect. Now that it's done and I see the finished product it seems so simple :D