1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Internet Connectivity Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by TBlazer07, Dec 26, 2011.

1. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I have 1 HR34 and 2 HR24's all obviously connected by coax to a SWiM16. All are easily within direct reach of my router either through a pair of GigE switches or a direct run from the router to the HR.

Can I eliminate the existing BB Deca & it's PI from this system by just running a coax directly to the HR34 or HR24's through a switch or directly from the router? Will the ethernet connection in the HR's bridge to the internal DECA's?

Trying to clean up some wiring and get rid of unnecessary pieces. The only external DECA I have in the system now is the BB Deca.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I don't believe you can bridge using the DVR.
    However, depending where your BB DECA is located, why not just move it else where?

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    the HR34 may or may not work well to bridge the other receivers from its ethernet port.
    Plugging in ethernet to the HR24s will "kill" their DECAs, so while you may want to "clean things up", more likely than not, you'll hose part of what you have.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Supposed to work on the HR34-700. It's an either or on the HR24s.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm not even sure it makes "supposed to" status.
    For some it has worked, while for others it hasn't so well, and "I think" it isn't the supported method.

6. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    What wrong with just using the DECA? Seems simple enough of a solution and if the only external DECA piece is the BBDECA then that seems better than a switch and runs of cat5. Just me thinking, why fix what's not broke. :)

7. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I don't see any benefit of bridging via the HR34 except that it gets rid of one DECA and its PI. I figure there must be a trade off. But I don't know what it is.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Fundamentally" it wasn't planned to be used.
    While the 24s disable their DECA when ethernet is used, because of the RVU aspect of the HR34, it can't be disabled. This doesn't mean though that the ethernet "bridges well" to the DECA.

9. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Nothing's wrong with using the Deca, just wanted to have as few "pieces" as I can. Switch and router are both about 2 feet from the HR34 so that's not a problem either. I guess I'll just try it for the hal-i-but. I rarely use the internet connectivity anyway.

Basically I was "just wondering" and my q's have been answered. :)